CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

How do you feel about God.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #421
SnakeAround
Logic is an objective thing, it can be sound, like a car is a motor vehicle, but not any motor vehicle is a car. Math is the ultimate sound logic.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #422
Ricky87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_C View Post
This analysis of logic isn't really accurate. Logic is something that can be universally applied. For example, someone could use logic to say that 2 + 2 = 5, but that doesn't mean their logic is accurate, or true, or even reasonable. Opinions can be logical, but logic is not an opinion. It's objective.

Human beings are notoriously illogical and, when it comes down to it, faith is illogical. This is one of the qualities of faith that makes it significant - that it is belief despite a lack of evidence. If faith was logical, it wouldn't be a test and there would be no significance to it.

Most everyone is in agreement that 2 + 2 = 4. That is logical. Most everyone is in disagreement about the nature of god because it is not logical. This is okay and is not a criticism of faith or belief. I just want to clear up that opinions aren't necessarily logical.
Totally understand your point on logic. It's like with evolution...People use it as a point to prove/disprove God, but armed only with truth we can't come to a conclusion either way. Truthfully when we trace back life to it's most original form you'd have to say it came from something and the farther back you trace it you end up at nothing. Somehow something (like life and the universe) came from nothing. It's like if you woke up and there was a Range Rover sitting in your living room. Logically you would keep wondering how it got there until someone gave you an acceptable answer...The problem with the origin of life is that some people don't even agree that there *is* a Range Rover in their living room. They defy logic that's as real as sight or sound.

More than beliefs I think it's pride that interferes with truth/logic...Everybody believes in something, but the problem is when people conclude they themselves are the only answer. Their truth defeats another persons truth and they make it their life's mission to try and prove it. That's what religion is guilty of and that's what most beliefs in general are guilty of. If we discussed things based only on truth than the world would actually be an incredibly peaceful place regardless of how we view God. Belief in God is *not* the problem...Everybody should have the right to peacefully accept life in their own terms. They just shouldn't try and define it for everyone else. Especially since most people who belief in something don't even live according to their own beliefs. They convince themselves it's the world at large that keeps them from living in their dream-world so they condemn every part of it until nothing is left except them and their beliefs. That's the world in a nutshell IMO.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #423
Ricky87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAround View Post
Great vision on it Rick!
Thank you!!

Old 01-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #424
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_C View Post
This analysis of logic isn't really accurate. Logic is something that can be universally applied. For example, someone could use logic to say that 2 + 2 = 5, but that doesn't mean their logic is accurate, or true, or even reasonable. Opinions can be logical, but logic is not an opinion. It's objective.

Human beings are notoriously illogical and, when it comes down to it, faith is illogical. This is one of the qualities of faith that makes it significant - that it is belief despite a lack of evidence. If faith was logical, it wouldn't be a test and there would be no significance to it.

Most everyone is in agreement that 2 + 2 = 4. That is logical. Most everyone is in disagreement about the nature of god because it is not logical. This is okay and is not a criticism of faith or belief. I just want to clear up that opinions aren't necessarily logical.
Ah, but you see! My statement was completely logical to me, but not you. That was the purpose of the whole thing. Things that are logical to one person, are not logical to everyone else.
It all depends on the person, not everyone believes the same things. Most people only find things logical that fall in line with what they believe. It is very hard to separate ones self from ones beliefs in order to look at something objectively. I do my best to, but it is difficult because, my beliefs make up a lot of who I am.
And, there in lies the problem with trying to tell someone that something that they believe is wrong. When someone believes in something strongly enough, it becomes part of them. When another person comes around making fun of those beliefs it is akin to making fun of the person themselves. That is why many people who believe in God get offended at many statements.
Again, this is logical to me, but maybe not anyone else.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #425
SnakeAround
Hi think you mix up logic and values. Logic is what can be defined and tested, like: if sugar is bad for your teeth, candies containing sugar are bad for your teeth. That is sound logic. Maybe you disagree that sugar is bad for your teeth, but that does not matter, the logic is still sound.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #426
dave partington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAround View Post
Hi think you mix up logic and values. Logic is what can be defined and tested, like: if sugar is bad for your teeth, candies containing sugar are bad for your teeth. That is sound logic. Maybe you disagree that sugar is bad for your teeth, but that does not matter, the logic is still sound.
And yet, sugar is a basic building block of life. Thank God for sugar.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #427
Shiari
Sugar isn't a building block of life. That's what proteins and amino acids are. Sugar is the energy our body uses, but sugar-as-sugar is very short term in its usefulness, which is why people can have a 'crash' after consuming sugar. Consuming protein and fat gives the body a longer term supply of energy through the production and use of glycogen and lipids.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #428
Tavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Sugar isn't a building block of life. That's what proteins and amino acids are. Sugar is the energy our body uses, but sugar-as-sugar is very short term in its usefulness, which is why people can have a 'crash' after consuming sugar. Consuming protein and fat gives the body a longer term supply of energy through the production and use of glycogen and lipids.
Blasphemy! Blasphemy! Sugar is too a major building block of life! There is no life worth living without sugar! Praise be to sugar! Begone you blasphemer!

More seriously, I appreciate the lesson in biology.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #429
Shiari
Biology fascinates me. The often times unnecessary complexity, the jury-rigged aspects of it are things that began driving the wedge that divided me from faith. Reading the bible was the death blow.

I would think that a deity, supposedly omnipotent and omniscient, would have done a better job than this. Why the urogentical system of male sheep? They urinate through a cocktail straw! Why the recurrent inferior laryngeal nerve? Why does this nerve for our voice box, this aspect of a cranial nerve, flow all the way down the heart, underneath the arteries there... and then back up to the top of the throat? Why does it not just... yaknow... go there? Yes, other nerves branch off as it travels... but why not go over, and then down? It's still twice as long as needed. In fish however that's the most direct route. >_> It links to the gills near the heart.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #430
desiredbard
Well the big question would be...

If there is a God how would she feel about you

And yes there is a god... or did the delusions started during instead of after I bedded those women

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google