CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

How do you feel about God.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #901
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifullywild77 View Post
Love how you are now psychic and know what people are thinking in the back of their minds and how they view their own beliefs. Or are you just making assumptions as to what all of humanity thinks or should think of religion and deities.
How do you deal with your beliefs internally when they go against someone else's beliefs? Do you look at your beliefs and think that yours are wrong? Do you think that their beliefs are right and yours are wrong?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #902
Outcast
How about, some of us analyze our beliefs and see which fits us most, and change accordingly...

Why is it that, while there are militant religious people out there, it is the militant atheists that just keep on blowing wind, going on and on about why everyone who has a belief is stupid? Even the most militant religious person I have met gave up after a little while of not making any headway in the conversation... Oh, and this was a 6,000 year earther...

Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #903
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
How about, some of us analyze our beliefs and see which fits us most, and change accordingly...

Why is it that, while there are militant religious people out there, it is the militant atheists that just keep on blowing wind, going on and on about why everyone who has a belief is stupid? Even the most militant religious person I have met gave up after a little while of not making any headway in the conversation... Oh, and this was a 6,000 year earther...
What is a militant atheist?

Who is calling anyone stupid?

I believe we all have beliefs and I believe that one culture/religion's beliefs whether they be creation myths or otherwise often differ. I believe that for someone who honestly believes there are pixies, fairies, gnomes, yuwipi, etc. that their belief is just as valid as someone else who believes in Horus, Zeus, Allah, Tunkashila, or any other spiritual power or deity. I also believe that no culture/religion can lay any more claim of legitimacy than any other cultures religion or creation myth can as they all rest on blind faith. I base my own beliefs on proofs and evidence and when I find proofs or evidence that refutes my beliefs I am more than willing to change those beliefs in light of the new evidence and facts.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #904
Carpe Serpentis
I do like that you analyze your beliefs and change them accordingly though or am I interpreting that wrong? How do you see your beliefs that do not fit in or that go against other peoples beliefs. Say for instance, that there is a belief that stoning children is right and your belief is that stoning children is wrong. How do you internalize the two differences?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #905
Carpe Serpentis
Meaning, when you have changed accordingly and realize the two beliefs are still diametrically opposed to each other... do you ever say, one of these beliefs is untrue or do you hold that both beliefs are true? Take for example the belief that stoning women or children is okay and another cultural/religious view that stoning women or children is not okay? Do you ever just take a stand and say, that belief is wrong?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #906
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Serpentis View Post
Meaning, when you have changed accordingly and realize the two beliefs are still diametrically opposed to each other... do you ever say, one of these beliefs is untrue or do you hold that both beliefs are true? Take for example the belief that stoning women or children is okay and another cultural/religious view that stoning women or children is not okay? Do you ever just take a stand and say, that belief is wrong?
Reading some of your posts makes me wish I were stoned..........just sayin'.....

Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #907
Carpe Serpentis
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Reading some of your posts makes me wish I were stoned..........just sayin'.....
And speaking of stoned and your desire to get stoned, there are many religions which use psychotropics, entheogens, magic/tricks, etc. to get people to help foster beliefs. So, blind faith and even outright deception can be used along with mind altering substances to alter ones beliefs. An example of deception/magic/trick is when a yuwipi medicine man is tied up in a blanket and is subsequently unwrapped by "spirits". "Spirits/yuwpi" come in and make the room light up with their presence, make it rain inside a room, etc. Sometimes, these ceremonies even have the addition of peyote another psychoactive substance added to them.... or when in an inipi ceremony (sweat lodge) one sees the water sparkle or light up as if the breath of the creator and the spirits of the inyan were really there. Parlor tricks easily duplicated.... so, outright deception is sometimes used.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #908
dave partington
My religion is hybrid

Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #909
Rich Z
I have to admit, that if I were able to have a conversation with aliens, I certainly would be interested to hear their opinions about God.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #910
Carpe Serpentis
Easter eggs are another hybrid element of the christian religion. Pysanka as they are called by one culture and were once used and perhaps still are used by some cultures as symbols representative of spring, rebirth, the sun, etc. The bottom line is many religions share hybrid elements from other cultures religions/beliefs as they evolve, go extinct, etc.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google