CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

HELP!..Sick Corn

Old 12-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
crd106
HELP!..Sick Corn

Hello all...Happy Holidays...I need some input on a 5 yr old male corn, my son named him "Tornado"...I purchased him from a breeder at the Phila Reptile Show in November. The breeder told me "Tornado" was 5 years old and his male anery breeder. Since having him home I noticed he defecates 2 times a day...for several days.... And it is more smelly than my other corns...ALSO the last few seem to have mucus in it. He has been feed F/T mice (which I bought at the show). My 2 other corns are less than a year and not eating the mice I bought.. They are healthy and we are currently not holding them until we get this other stuff worked out...
I just brought him to the vet and he has an early stage of mouth rot..and the vet didn't want to check the stool sample I brought??? He said it could be worms and prescribed Panacur 1 /SID for 5 days...for Enteritis...AND Ciprofloxacin 1 / SID every other day for the mouth rot.....
We've had him for less than two months and I'm not happy....Could he be getting a worm or parasite from the mice? We change his substrate and I change the water almost daily.. I can't believe he's sick because I'm very good with cleaning the cage..Could the mouth rot be from him drinking the water he's been spending alot of time in? And to top it off the medication is an oral liquid that is very difficult to administer.....Any thoughts would be appreciated THANKS

Old 12-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
Nanci
I'd finish out the course of the drugs and see how he does. I can't believe the vet wouldn't run a fecal on him. He could, probably does, already have parasites from being fed live or fresh killed somewhere along the line.

I don't know about the mouth rot. That would be a good question for the vet- what causes it.

Be VERY careful to keep him in isolation from your other snakes. Make sure you care for him last.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
Ravenessa
That just sounds scary Question, can you email the breeder? I would potentially bring him back, and I would also likely change vets to be honest.. My vet encourages yearly stool samples for reptiles, he said as long as I feed the snake f/t after one stool sample, yearly is not a must but he did say what Nanci said that depending on where you get your live/fresh killed from you have to be careful and should do at least a yearly check up.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
crd106
Thanks for the input..I checked the medications on the internet and they seem to be appropriate for what the Veterinarian "thinks he may be suffering from". I definitely will continue the meds and watch him closely..He seems to still have energy although he refused a live mouse yesterday. I have read on the internet that old frozen mice can contain lots of bacteria? I will start by throwing out the frozen mice I bought at the show. I have gotten frozen pinkies and fuzzies from Big Cheese in the past and have no problems with them.

He was spending a lot of time in his water bowl....Could it be he was getting dehydrated from the frequent stools he was having? And does anyone think I should change the temp or humidity in his cage to help him recover?

I will definitely write the breeder and let him know about the illness. When we bought him I remember he smelled really bad of recal matter. I dismissed it because he was at a reptile show and I figured he had a long day of traveling in a small box and he may have went earlier. Maybe his home was not so clean? I'll never know..Fortunately for Tornado we have made a commitment to him so returning him is not really an option. Unfortunately for my wallet he got sick somewhere and I just hope he gets better soon...

Old 12-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Ravenessa
Crd <3 All respect to you, I would do the same.. I have sucker on my forehead..
He most likely is a little dehydrated after all that stool, I would also look into if there is probiotics for snake (have no clue if there is) and if there is also add that to his "diet" or water.. there is also a pedialyte for snakes, it is a blue liquid that removes chlorine in water adds a little vitamin d as well as electrolytes. I use it for my lizards have contemplated using it for my snaes, not sure if I should or shouldn't but that might be an idea though just to help him replenish... Hopefully the seller does right by you and reimburse you a little bit if not I would probably post him on BOI so other people dont get the same problem...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google