CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Back in Shedding mode?

Old 05-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #1
Veni
Question Back in Shedding mode?

Hey Hey everyone

My Corn shed on Thursday, the skin came off in little pieces but it ALL came off. I got him just over a month ago and believe him to be about 2 years old. I'm pretty sure he is male but don't know for sure.

Last night I observed my little guy rubbing his face really hard across the log in his viv. It semed to frustrate him. He sat up - yawned really wide and then just curled up under the log and went back to sleep.

This confused me beacause this is exactly what he did when he shed (apart from going back to sleep that is) and I've never seem him exhibit that kind of behaviour at any other time.

If anyone knows why he appeared to try and shed again please let me know.

Many thanks
Veni ^_^

Old 05-26-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
CornCrazy
Has he been checked for mites? He could have been scratching.

Also, how long had it been since he had eaten?

Old 05-26-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
Veni
He ate on Saturday and the vet gave him a clean bill of health. They said he was totally parasite-free.

Maybe he WAS scratching but I'm quite sure he doesn't have any mites or anything like that.

Veni

Old 05-26-2003, 12:38 PM   #4
CornCrazy
How long after he ate did he rub up against the log?

Old 05-26-2003, 12:46 PM   #5
Veni
Well it happened last night so more than 24 hours - but it was only his face he seemed interested in scratching

Veni

Old 05-26-2003, 12:52 PM   #6
CornCrazy
I don't know then. I have seen mine do that several hours after eating, but not 24 hours later. I would just monitor his behavior to see if he does it again. If not, then I wouldn't think it's a problem.

Old 05-26-2003, 01:00 PM   #7
Veni
Will do - thanks for the advice

Perhaps he always does it and this is just the first time I've seen him do it.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out

Veni ^_^

Old 05-26-2003, 01:52 PM   #8
8Corn*Freak8
Itch?

He may have just had like a piece of the bedding on his face or a small piece of dead skin that he didnt shed off...There should be no worries here. I mean if there is no parasite, What is the worst thing that can happen from scratching?

Old 05-28-2003, 03:31 AM   #9
Veni
Your right - it probabaly was dead skin (I use newspaper bedding)

I haven't seen him do it since anyhow. it just confused me.

Anway - thanks for the input

Veni ^ _ ^

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google