CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Do your corns ever stop moving on your arm?

Old 07-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Do your corns ever stop moving on your arm?

Tango is one active boy when I take him out of his viv. He's obviously just getting to know me but is always looking for a nice, dark nook to hide in (this afternoon he tried to go into the couch cushions!) Do you think over time he will mellow out and just hang out on my arm, or are corns perpetually active? I am so used to our black rat snakes knotting themselves around my arm and chilling; I think they would stay there for hours.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
DollysMom
While there are times they just sit, they are pretty active when out. If you want one to sit, wear long sleeves and your snake will crawl into your sleeve and sit there.

Of course he may just hang out for hours someday. They are all individuals, but corn snakes are known for being active. I've never tried for hours, lol. I can't just sit there for that long. Sometimes mine wrap around my arm and just hang out for a while.

I suggest that you observe an acclimation period for Tango and leave him undisturbed in his new house for a few days. They like to explore their new homes and settle in. From my point of view they are actually taking possession. There will be plenty of time to hold him once he's settled in. Taking it slow pays off in the long run. Get to know each other one step at a time. Being attuned to your snake's needs and moods is a super cool part of the relationship. It takes more than a couple of days.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
DollysMom
P.S. Is Tango really only 2 years old? I know you just got him, but any idea of how he got to over 400 grams in two years?

Old 07-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Rufus is a very chilled out snake. He will sit with me all day if I was to let him.

A few weeks ago I drove into Nashville and took him with me. I wrapped him around my neck and we made the 30 mile drive up, took care of some business, and made the 30 mile drive back. Total trip took about 2 hours, and he never moved.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
LadyJemima
Quote:
I suggest that you observe an acclimation period for Tango and leave him undisturbed in his new house for a few days. They like to explore their new homes and settle in. From my point of view they are actually taking possession. There will be plenty of time to hold him once he's settled in. Taking it slow pays off in the long run. Get to know each other one step at a time. Being attuned to your snake's needs and moods is a super cool part of the relationship. It takes more than a couple of days.
Good advice. I've only handled him twice (once a day) for ten minutes each time, and it's gone well. I did feed him also, knowing he was hungry after his shed. But I am trying to leave him alone and not disturb him. He spends most of his time in the homemade hide that came with him, although he likes to explore the cork (which he does NOT fit into, but thinks he does! Normally about 1/3 of his body and tail sticks out one end. ) I will give him a "day off" tomorrow with no handling. I didn't handle Ruby for a week and a half and she got very handling-averse, although I've realized now that she has a skittish personality to begin with....just don't want the same thing to happen with Tango.

Quote:
P.S. Is Tango really only 2 years old? I know you just got him, but any idea of how he got to over 400 grams in two years?
I actually think he's about 1.5 years. The owner couldn't remember exactly but said it was definitely not 2.5 years ago that she went to the expo, so she was pretty sure he was 1.5. She fed him an adult mouse 1-2 times weekly, which is why I'm cutting back; he's a big pudgy (just barely, but he could stand to lose a bit of weight). The way he moves, I think he will get plenty of exercise. I wanted a hefty corn, though, so I'm quite happy with him. Hope he gets even longer over the years! I'd love to have a 4.5 or 5 footer.

Other than that...there's no way to age a snake, right?

Quote:
A few weeks ago I drove into Nashville and took him with me. I wrapped him around my neck and we made the 30 mile drive up, took care of some business, and made the 30 mile drive back. Total trip took about 2 hours, and he never moved.
That is so cool.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
DollysMom
There is no way to age a snake without knowing the hatch date. You are absolutely correct. So he could have already been several years old when she got him. That makes more sense. He sounds absolutely wonderful and it sounds like you have things well in hand.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
NinnJinn
Sherbert will roam for a minute or so then just coils up in my hand and stays there. Now with the kids, he/she is constantly on the move.

However when I am trying to get Sherbert out or just back in, goes crazy zipping around like a crazed lunatic....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google