CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How is my setup?

Old 07-19-2017, 04:25 AM   #51
DollysMom
Congrats. Feeling his tongue is so awesome!

Once a day is perfect. I've always found that with little ones, scooping them up in two hands works well. Just cup your hands and scoop. The more quickly and confidently you can do it, the better. Never grip or squeeze. The tighest I ever hold a snake, baby or adult, they can still slip through my fingers. Of course I have my other hand there to catch them when they do.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #52
Scrappyeddie77
Just pick him up no secrets or technical info just don't be nervous and don't squeeze him just get him and let him crawl through your hands one hand in front of the other
I would say hold him until he calms down don't put him up when he is all crazy acting wait until he calms down then you can put him up if you put him up when he starts to act crazy he will learn that all he has to do is act that way and you will put him up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #53
HeckinSnek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappyeddie77 View Post
Just pick him up no secrets or technical info just don't be nervous and don't squeeze him just get him and let him crawl through your hands one hand in front of the other
I would say hold him until he calms down don't put him up when he is all crazy acting wait until he calms down then you can put him up if you put him up when he starts to act crazy he will learn that all he has to do is act that way and you will put him up

I'm sorry, put him up? Put him up where? Do you mean put him down?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2017, 09:37 AM   #54
Scrappyeddie77
Put him back in his cage

Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #55
anthroterra01
When picking up, scoop around midsection. Avoid approaching straight at his head or trying to pick up at head area. Warm things coming towards his head are viewed as food or danger. As another poster said, be confident and quick. If you're slow and hesitant, that can also signal mouse. My corns have pretty much three thoughts: om nom?, om nom!, and oh it's her again lol. They think everything means food until they're somewhat rudely scooped up, then they're very curious and explore. Just support his body and let him cruise, and redirect rather than drag him back. Dragging back can lead to scale damage.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:35 PM   #56
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthroterra01 View Post
My corns have pretty much three thoughts: om nom?, om nom!, and oh it's her again lol.
You have that so right!

Old 07-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #57
HeckinSnek
Ahhhhhh! I held him, he's so amazing and talented
Thanks for the advice on scooping!
He actually seemed more relaxed than I was once I actually caught the little booger. I was too excited and my hands shook, so I didn't handle him long but he was a very good boy.
One more question and then I think I'm out of questions finally. I'm not thrilled with the jump start thermostat that I purchased, when I upgrade Louie Louie to a 40long I think I'll get a better thermostat as well. I see the herpstat has excellent reviews but I don't really need one that runs 4 tanks at once.... Does anyone have a recommendation or should I just get the cheapest herpstat?
I hope you all know that you're amazing people and I appreciate everything so so so much!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 07-20-2017, 05:03 AM   #58
Karl_Mcknight
I believe Spyder Robotics makes a model that will do 4 at once. (At least they used to).

It's also quite pricey - I'm thinking around 350 bucks.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #59
anthroterra01
They make the Herpstat 1, which controls 1 tank, for $149:
http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index....products_id=24
Vivarium Electronics also makes a good one for $85:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/ve-100

Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #60
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthroterra01 View Post
They make the Herpstat 1, which controls 1 tank, for $149:
http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index....products_id=24
Vivarium Electronics also makes a good one for $85:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/ve-100
Ahhh, but you overlooked the rest of their products. I have the Herpstat 2 that controls 2 pads, and there is a 4 and now even a 6.

http://www.spyderrobotics.com/index....products_id=36

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google