CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Finally weighted little Ruby! And....

Old 07-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Finally weighted little Ruby! And....

...she weighs 79 grams! She is supposed to be 3 years old in a month. She is so small that I am too scared to give her anything bigger than a fuzzy, but she will be going to a new home soon with someone who has owned / bred snakes for 30+ years, who will hopefully be able to get something in between a fuzzy and a hopper for her and know exactly how to feed her.

Do you think she's a runt? Stunted? Just super super tiny?

Old 07-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
LadyJemima
On the other end of the spectrum....1.5 year old Tango is 470 grams! He's a tiny bit chubby -- working on giving him lots of exercise and a 2-week feeding schedule.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:08 AM   #3
Shiari
At that weight she should be on hoppers and be about to jump up to weanlings.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
DollysMom
Hoppers for Ruby for sure! Shiari is absolutely correct.

Hoppers start at about 5 grams and go up to 10 or 11 grams, so get a bag of hoppers, start with the small and work up to the large.

Just FYI, in any mice you get the smallest and largest of each category overlap the categories above and below making transition easy if you buy in quantities of 25 or more. For example, I've seen up to 7 gram fuzzies and down to 4 gram hoppers. I've seen up to a 13 gram hopper and down to 8 gram weanlings. That said, this is why I weigh my prey.

Fuzzy, hopper, and weanling are actually life stages that infer sizes. If you compare a 5 gram fuzzy to a 5 gram hopper for example, you will see the latter has more hair, a longer tail, and slightly thicker limbs.

I was so happy thinking that you were keeping Ruby after all. Sad she will be going, but best wishes on the rehoming.

P.S. Most likely Ruby has been underfed but there is no way to know for certain without feeding records.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
LadyJemima
I'll look for hoppers at PetCo -- I wish you could see inside the bags of frozen mice they sell, but I will buy some regardless and try her on them next Friday when I feed her. I am SO scared she is going to choke but everyone has told me she can go a size up.

I am absolutely certain that Ruby has been underfed but sadly you can't help what you get with a rescue. I suspect (hope) that she will start gaining when she gets fed hoppers in the future. She really is healthy enough otherwise!

Dolly, I am sad to say goodbye also, but I don't "need" two snakes (not that many people don't have half a dozen!) I am seriously considering a turtle adoption to further my "herp" educational programs, and then I really wouldn't have room for her. Believe me, I vetted her new adoptee VERY carefully and his tank setups are out of this world. She will be well taken-care of!

Old 07-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
DollysMom
I have no doubt she will go to a good home and that you have done your homework. You have been on quite a journey and have taken many of us with you.

Believe me, she won't choke. From what I've seen big box pet store mice are on the smaller side in any case. If in doubt, weigh the nice and pick out the smallest one.

Best wishes!

Old 07-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
Some of the Pet Stores, Petco, PetsMart, etc, don't brand them as hoppers or whatever. They sell small medium and large mice. You might be able to find Jumbo as well and also small, medium and large rats.

A Hopper mouse is basically a mouse that weighs about 7 to 9 grams. So if you look on the box or package it might say something like: "Contains 6 small mice. Net Wt. 2.2 oz.

You might have to do some math. I carry a small calculator with me, most cell phones now have a calculator built in. There are 28 grams to an ounce. Just divide the total number of grams on the box by the number of mice contained. If it averages out to about 7 to 9 grams that's what you're looking for.

I have bought from both Petco and PetsMart and not found anything called a Hopper. But between the Small, Medium, Large and Jumbos, I have been able to find what I am looking for.

If you want to buy the actual Hopper mice (by that name) you'll have to bulk buy online probably.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google