CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Xiaomi Mi 4K drone

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet_set_willy View Post
You can't beat a drone for the perspective it brings you.

Like you I waited for prices to fall and was fortunate to come across the 3d robotics solo which went in fire sales for cheap. a $2000 drone for $180 I ended up with 2 so can keep one as a spare.
I fixed those links for you to your videos. The syntax for using the YouTube tag pair is:

[youtube]YouTube video code ONLY![/youtube]

The videos you took look awesome! Wish I had areas that photogenic around here. And honestly it's probably going to take a while before I develop the nerve to fly my drone over the water. The fact that the ability for US to be able to take videos of that nature and quality now just really excites me.

I've been watching 3DR ever since they started producing consumer level drones, and I likely would have bought one had they not always seemed to be just shy of what I wanted. For instance, they refused to over 3D gimbals on their drones and only offered 2D for the longest time. As most people discovered, 2D just doesn't cut the mustard on a flying platform for video.

Not sure what is going on with 3DR now, but my guess is that they are abandoning the consumer market and only targeting professionals and professional applications. I guess they got tired of people crashing their drone and wanting a replacement even though it likely crashing because of operator error.

But what is becoming more and more evident to me is that 4K 30fps is just fine for ground based video, or from flying platforms that are remaining in a stable position with only modest movement in the subject matter. For anything akin to actually flying while video taping, 30 fps just can't process the data stream properly for smooth video. At least to my eyes. Seems that when the processor can't process the data fast enough, it just fills in the blanks with a close approximation which turns out leaving the resultant video "fuzzy" looking in areas. This is especially true in high detail areas like grass and foliage.

I'm guessing my Xiaomi Mi drone will be obsoleted by a 4K 60fps version in a year or less. Xiaomi seems to want to go toe to toe with DJI, and they need to make that step. If they were to come out with something like DJI's Mavic Pro but with 4K 60fps, it would be a killer product, I think. I just hope they don't make the body a dark color. Something of that color will just be a whole lot harder to find if it drops into the underbrush somewhere and you have to run off to try to find it.