CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Is Hunter getting ready to shed?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
NinnJinn
Is Hunter getting ready to shed?

I have had Hunter for about a month now wondering when he would shed.

Today I got him out and gave him to my daughter so I could do some cleaning. She made the comment that he eyes looked funny..

The top of his head forward looks pale, but from behind his eyes to his tail looks the same as they day I brought him home....

I had bought a couple cheap Tupperware knock off storage containers 2 weeks ago, but anyways I cut a hole at the end of one and sanded the opening. put 3 damp paper towels in it and set it half on warm and half on cool side.

We put him back in and within a minute or so, he climbed in and has been on the warm side ever since. (roughly 4hrs now.)

Should we leave him alone? How often do I change the paper towel with fresh damp ones? His 7 day feeding schedule is due tomorrow... do we feed him? Handle him?

Old 07-12-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
Dragonling
I keep a spray bottle on hand for misting (especially nest and egg boxes). I just fill it with warm water and kinda spritz the bits away from the snake. With paper towels, the water will spread out anyway.

Shedding is kind of a non-event in my mind. It's good to let them have more peace and quiet and perhaps hold off on feeding, but it's not something to necessarily fuss over much.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
LadyJemima
He is pre-shed. I don't mist; I keep damp moss in the humid hide when mine go cloudy. I also put a damp hand towel over 1/2 of the top of the screen and this shoots the humidity right up to 70% every time. Works like a charm; both my snakes had a perfect shed. I re-dampen the moss every 4-5 days but paper towels might be different.

0.1 Normal Amel ("Ruby") / 2014
1.0 Normal Ultramel ("Tango") / 2015

Old 07-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
LadyJemima
I would leave him alone until he sheds.

0.1 Normal Amel ("Ruby") / 2014
1.0 Normal Ultramel ("Tango") / 2015

Old 07-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
NinnJinn
Thank you for the replies. He spent roughly 48 hours in the humid hide. This morning when I went to check on him he was out of the humid hide and in the cool side toilet paper roll so I took the hide out wash it up really good and put fresh moist paper towel in and put it back in the Viv.

I didn't bother the hide that he was in but I checked everything else no shed yet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google