CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How to handle?

Old 07-18-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
HeckinSnek
How to handle?

It honestly didn't occur to me that the handling of the snake would be this difficult.
I tried to handle Louie Louie for the first time today, washed my hands, tried to grab him but naturally he ran away and that little f***er is fast. So I gave up trying to pick him up and just let my hand hang out in the tank, he smelled it i felt his tongue. Anyways any tips for a new owner on how to pick up the snake and is once a day too often to handle him (assuming he isn't shedding and hasn't been fed in a couple days)?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 07-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
HeckinSnek
I also had the distinct pleasure of cleaning snake poop for the first time in my life. Check that one off the bucket list.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 07-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
LadyJemima
Using a snake hook can be more comfortable for them than being "grabbed" by a "predator." I could pick up both my snakes with my hands but use a good because I think it's less stressful for them. Once you have picked up your snake, hold it close to your body where it will feel more secure and be able to climb on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
LadyJemima
*use a hook

Also want to add that any animal prefers to be approach sideways, as predators will attack from the top. Always let your snake see you before you try to pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
I also agree with a snake hook. I used it with Rufus the first several times of handling. Plus I just like to go out snake hunting from time to time so it comes in handy there too. Once Rufus got used to being handled, I was able to set the hook aside. Now he usually crawls right into my hands on his own when I open the doors to his cage.

The one in the picture is telescopic and for smaller snakes. I got it at PetsMart. I have a larger one about 4 feet long also. It's way too big for a corn snake.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
DollysMom
I remember feeling the same way the first time I tried to pick up a baby corn snake. It is hard not to take it personally. Just remember that they are scared babies and it is nothing personal. It gets much easier by six months and by a year a corn snake that has been handled regularly is usually downright mellow. No matter how you approach things now, hook or not, if you persist and don't get discouraged it will almost certainly get better.

My little girl Cleo totally trusts me at this point. So does my girl Mandy and she came from the rescue with the admonition that she would tolerate limited gentle handling. No, she can be handled easily and spends time sitting in my lap and climbing through my arms and hands. She also demonstrates total trust. Rome wasn't built in a day an neither is a relationship wish a scared baby corn snake. But it will get better.

Handling once a day starting with 5 to 10 minutes, building to 1/2 hour and eventually an hour by a year (adjust for your snake's mood -- if they seem cranky or uncomfortable take that into consideration) when not digesting or in shed is perfect.

Congrats on being christened an official snake parent!

In a year come back to this thread and tell us how it is

Old 07-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
NinnJinn
I used an unsharpened pencil. but then put TP rolls in their viv and now I just slide them out into my hand.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google