• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hatching hoggies

Chip

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2rxfs40.jpg

Last edited:
These went 60 days exactly. Usually they seem to go about a week over that.

Thanks, everybody! If they eat, it it is very fun working with these! ;)
I swear I posted this morning, but those are adorable!!!!!

You did, but that was on my phone. You have to take two of these one of these days. I'll pick you the sweetest and most hateful great eaters. They'll be your favorite snakes in a year.

Congrats. Wish I could keep Western hognose here, but They're a protected native species

I do miss me some piglets. I was hoping my kennerlyi would go again this season, but no such luck.

Are those little sausages orange albinos or is coloration off due to the impending post-hatch shed?

They're amel. Or albino as hognose people like to call them, I guess. At the bottom of the photo you can see one's head beside a normal.

They're amel. Or albino as hognose people like to call them, I guess. At the bottom of the photo you can see one's head beside a normal.

Ehh...semantics. Both terms are the proper word for the inability to produce melanin pigment. :D

Now that I don't have to go through the BS of importation permits (stupid NM Dept G&F) by living in TX I may have to finally pick up a few more hoggies. The better half loves em.

Those guys look like beefy little things.

Well, one term is proper, when speaking of reptiles, but yeah, it is semantics. ;)

They are always the most fun snakes in your collection. Such a crazy range of personalities! Yeah, they all seem to be hatching out really big, so hopefully they have enough weight to sustain them until they all eat.

I have to say that out of my entire collection, my male hognose has the most personality! He looks right at me and I just wonder what's going through his mind. I would love to get a female one day, not to breed but just because. There is something to be said about the female version of a hoggie.

The males and females are almost like different species. The females are at least three times the size, and typically much more mellow. I have very few males that are ravenous eaters, all my girls are. Conversely, most of my males are crazy hissers, the females might give out a short one, and then just want to see if I have food for them. The babies can be a PITA, no two ways about it, but they're worth it.

Congrats on the hatchlings! I've promised myself an amel male hog baby at some point, one of the few hog morphs I like that the price can be justified for a non breeding pet. I'd kind of like to try a female, just to see the difference in personalities but then the temptation to try breeding them might be too great and I really don't want to mess with picky eaters.

Back