CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Just want to confirm my corn snakes morph

Old 09-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #11
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsnake View Post
Why would a Miami het for amel and anery not be considered a Miami? I'm curious because I recently acquired a Miami phase female het for amel. If she's not considered a Miami because of her genes then what would she be called?
I think you're misunderstanding Shiari's post. A Miami with hets can still be a Miami. But if the OP bred his (or her) Miami to a coral snow, the babies would not be considered Miamis because one of the parents is not a Miami. The babies would probably just look like regular normals, not Miamis. Miamis are line-bred normals, so in order to get more of them, you have to breed Miami to Miami. It's the same thing with Okeetees and other line-bred normals.

Yours looks like a Miami to me.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #12
texsnake
So to get my het Miami you would have to have a normal Miami paired with an amel Miami? If instead one of the parents was an amel classic my corn would just be a classic corn het amel? Am I understanding this correctly?

Old 09-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
KvanAalten
Quote:
So to get my het Miami you would have to have a normal Miami paired with an amel Miami? If instead one of the parents was an amel classic my corn would just be a classic corn het amel? Am I understanding this correctly?
Miami doesn't work like hets, Miami, Okeetee and all that kind of morphs are normals with a certain look. Miami are more greyish with red, while Okeetee have big fat black borders and are more orange/red. If you were to breed these to a corn snake that doesn't show this look it won't show up in the offspring, or a lot less.

For example: Okeetee x Okeetee will give hatchlings with fat black borders and the orange/red colours.
Okeetee x Normal will give hatchlings with normals, maybe with a little thicker black border than normal.

Same goes for Miami.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
texsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by KvanAalten View Post
Miami doesn't work like hets, Miami, Okeetee and all that kind of morphs are normals with a certain look. Miami are more greyish with red, while Okeetee have big fat black borders and are more orange/red. If you were to breed these to a corn snake that doesn't show this look it won't show up in the offspring, or a lot less.

For example: Okeetee x Okeetee will give hatchlings with fat black borders and the orange/red colours.
Okeetee x Normal will give hatchlings with normals, maybe with a little thicker black border than normal.

Same goes for Miami.
I know that Miamis are a wild type. I'm just trying to understand why some Miamis can have hets and still be considered Miami while others would not. Why is my corn considered Miami when she is het amel? Wouldn't one of her parents not be Miami then?

Old 09-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #15
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
I know that Miamis are a wild type. I'm just trying to understand why some Miamis can have hets and still be considered Miami while others would not. Why is my corn considered Miami when she is het amel? Wouldn't one of her parents not be Miami then?
At one point a grandparent, or great grandparent, or possibly a great great great great grand parent, was not a Miami, but rather an albino (albino=amel). However, during that lineage/pedigree coming back to present, the breeder bred back to Miamis to keep the Miami look going. The albino gene would still persist, but at the heterozygous level, occasionally cropping back up via either using an unrelated pedigree with similar lineage, or via inbreeding inorder to perpetuate both the Miami and albino traits.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #16
texsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpsOfNM View Post
At one point a grandparent, or great grandparent, or possibly a great great great great grand parent, was not a Miami, but rather an albino (albino=amel). However, during that lineage/pedigree coming back to present, the breeder bred back to Miamis to keep the Miami look going. The albino gene would still persist, but at the heterozygous level, occasionally cropping back up via either using an unrelated pedigree with similar lineage, or via inbreeding inorder to perpetuate both the Miami and albino traits.
Ahhh, okay that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for making that clear to me.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #17
MysticExotics
Quote:
It basically comes down to how they end up looking. When outcrossing, if the babies have more orange in the ground color, and not the Miami grey, then they would be considered Normal/Classic, and not Miami-phase.

Miami's are not "morphs", in the same sense that Amel, Anery, etc are. It's more of a descriptor for coloring. (Unless they are from WC lineage, actual locality.)

Do you have current photos of the male?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google