CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Cornsnake Canyon

Old 01-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Laurelhach
Cornsnake Canyon

Thought I'd show off the background I made for my baby Salsa's adult tank; It won't be installed for some time but I certainly enjoyed working on it!

Hot glued the foam sheets together, began carving with an electric bread knife

All carved!

Primed with Krylon craft foam primer — works well, as long as you don't hold the spray too close and get it overly thick, because it will still melt the foam slightly. I didn't care because it was weathering the rocks!

Sprayed with acryclics, finished with ModgePodge

Old 01-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Nanci
That is so cool!!!!!

Old 01-28-2017, 10:51 PM   #3
Twolunger
You should make some to sell at the reptile shows, but it looks like a lot of work. Sure puts my paper towel rolls to shame. Salsa will love it.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:45 AM   #4
DollysMom
That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing it!

Old 01-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
yellowfox
Nice, I recently got the sample kit from hot wire fome factory to try and do some stuff for my tanks. I hop I can do as good a job as yours.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #6
backafter30
I made some similar backgrounds and took them to one of our local shows just to test the water. I sold two out of the four. If you had the time (I don't), the possibilities are endless: desert, tropical, mountain rocks, forest, etc. Make them in sizes to fit 10g, 20g, 40b, and the common sizes of Exoterra and ZooMed vivs. Incorporate hide caves, planting pockets for live vivs, even water/food dishes. With a hot wire foam cutter, you can make almost anything. If I only had more time... Nice job!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Laurelhach
What's the sale price for something like this? I enjoyed it immensely and wouldn't be opposed to creating more (though I imagine shipping would be a pain, and clearly I am oblivious to the market)

Old 01-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
backafter30
The two I sold were small, made for a 10g aquarium. I think I got 25-30 each for them, but they were pretty simple. I think I was asking maybe 45 for the ones I made for 20g tanks. I didn't sell them, but it was a pretty crappy show, and many vendors didn't sell anything at all. I think with a good selection to offer, and a decent reptile show with buying customers, they should sell pretty decently. If you made them so you could disassemble any projections which added to the front to back dimension, you might be able to ship them in rather flat boxes. They don't weigh much. Maybe flat-rate boxes? Design them to fit those.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Laurelhach
I wish I had access to shows! I may make some more just for fun (the possibilities are endless), but not as large - this one was a direct response to the lack of large viv backgrounds (this one is 48''x12''). Could also definitely make them narrower, this one is almost 9'' wide at the base. Post them somewhere, see if I could find a buyer? You're right, they're not heavy, so shipping may not be as bad as I originally thought.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google