CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How is my setup?

Old 07-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #31
HeckinSnek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Oh look, it's THAT log. I can't count how many times I've talked people out of buying one for their baby colubrid. I've seen several posts on facebook and forums (including a friend I sent a hatchling to) who "lost" their snake only to find it crammed inside the top of that thing.
http://m.imgur.com/0ETj3Iy,dQZV4Vn,AfgGA7P,mBumSWQ
This was the first place he went after I put him in the tank so it was the first place I checked, I put a pinkie in it last night hoping that even if I didn't see him maybe he'd eat it and hide again so I'd know he was still in the viv, he didn't take it. I just now jammed one up far enough into the very top of it that I can barely see it's there and it won't fall out into the lower level. Does that seem like a good plan for now?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 07-09-2017, 04:46 PM   #32
DollysMom
no you don't want to jam the pinkie into a small place. Just lay it out in a lid or something. I agree that that is the branch the snakes get lost in. He's probably in there. Many people have "lost" their snakes in that.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #33
Karl_Mcknight
I'd take that log hide and submerge it in luke warm water. If he's in there he'll swim out.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #34
HeckinSnek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
I'd take that log hide and submerge it in luke warm water. If he's in there he'll swim out.
I just did that and nothing happened, I was too afraid of accidentally drowning him when he didn't swim out right away so I emptied it out and put it back in the viv

Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #35
Karl_Mcknight
we have seen many people with that same log have a baby snake in there and not be able to find it. We typically warn people of those kinds of hides.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #36
HeckinSnek
Quote:
we have seen many people with that same log have a baby snake in there and not be able to find it. We typically warn people of those kinds of hides.
Well I'll wait and leave the clips on, I'm glad I kept them on all last night. I'm going to run out of pinkies if I keep using them trying to lure him out, if he is in there how long do you think he'll stay, especially since I would have just spooked him quite a bit...

Old 07-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #37
Karl_Mcknight
he could stay for several weeks, if he's stuck, indefinitely.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #38
HeckinSnek
Quote:
he could stay for several weeks, if he's stuck, indefinitely.
They can get stuck!?

Old 07-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #39
Karl_Mcknight
sure they can. Snakes crawl forward better than backward. If he is up in a little nook or cranny inside that log, he may not be able to back himself out.

I remember somebody who had a log just like your's thought they lost their snake and then discovered it was in there, and it would not come out, and they eventually had to cut the log in half to get the snake out.

Of course we don't recommend that as you could kill the snake in the process, but if the snake is going to die anyway, then at some point you might have to make a decision.

I think they used something like a hand held dremel tool with a cutting blade on it and cut along the seams where the plasitc log was formed.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #40
HeckinSnek
Quote:
sure they can. Snakes crawl forward better than backward. If he is up in a little nook or cranny inside that log, he may not be able to back himself out.

I remember somebody who had a log just like your's thought they lost their snake and then discovered it was in there, and it would not come out, and they eventually had to cut the log in half to get the snake out.

Of course we don't recommend that as you could kill the snake in the process, but if the snake is going to die anyway, then at some point you might have to make a decision.

I think they used something like a hand held dremel tool with a cutting blade on it and cut along the seams where the plasitc log was formed.
Holy crap, oh my god I wish I had known that I feel so bad for the little snake, maybe I can cut the tip off so I can look inside it better, oh my god what if he's in there and I kill him on accident by trying to cut it open, I feel so bad

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google