CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

found corn snake

Old 09-01-2004, 11:11 PM   #1
KEYNA
found corn snake

i found a corn snake under a big a/c unit today at a friends house so i took him home and fed him. he ate 1 f/t rat pup
i think he is about 2 years old i was thinking about letting him go i have too many already 13 is plenty for me write now
but i have a friend that wants him how can i tell if this snake is someones pet and just got out or is it a wild snake
he is very pretty and did not bite or strike at me at all and does not have any marks or scars on him he looks like the corn snake on pg.74 in the corn snake manual. maybe a little lighter than that.
i just wanted to let him go back to the wild were he is use to being if he is wild but if he is a pet snake then i would not feel to bad giveing this snake to my friend
thanks keyna

Old 09-02-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
Sabbas
Unless you go door to door asking your neighbors if they have lost a snake then I doubt you'll ever be able to really know for sure. Corns have been known on occasion to be just as placid and complacent in the wild as they typically are in captivity. Did your new found corn go all out on the constricting when you fed it the f/t? That's prolly the only way you could even come close to telling if it was truely wild I suppose.

My biggest concern with keeping it would be the chance of internal parasites from being outdoors. If you do keep it (or your friend) I would definitly take it to a vet along with a fecal sample and be prepared to treat it for parasites.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:54 AM   #3
KEYNA
it did not coil around the f/t rat pup it took it nice and gentle

that was one reason why i did not want to keep it i think it may have been out side long enough to get parasites

Old 09-02-2004, 07:13 AM   #4
CornCrazy
If it was a wild snake it would have been less likely to take a F/T rat pup. Based on that, I would assume that it could have belonged to someone. It could have picked up parasites while in the wild, so you should at least take a fecal to your vet to have it examined...just in case.

You should also make sure it is quarantined away from your other snakes.

Old 09-05-2004, 07:45 PM   #5
teddybear
I have picked up dozens of corns from the wild at a zoo I work at. corns are so layed back and easy going you would never be able to tell if he is owned or wild. If he is wild he still would be a good snake for someone to have just get him checked by a vet to see if he has any pari.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornCrazy
If it was a wild snake it would have been less likely to take a F/T rat pup. Based on that, I would assume that it could have belonged to someone. It could have picked up parasites while in the wild, so you should at least take a fecal to your vet to have it examined...just in case.

You should also make sure it is quarantined away from your other snakes.
I disagree on your assumption that a wild snake is less likely to take F/T food. I have several wild corns caught on my farm and they will eat almost anything. I always feed them last because I can use food that was refused by a captive born snake without any waste.

I do however highly agree with the quarantine suggestion.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:20 PM   #7
hediki
kenya if it doesnt like 2 b held a lot its wild. if its more tame its probably someones.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:19 AM   #8
medic2
Smile

[quote=Santa]I disagree on your assumption that a wild snake is less likely to take F/T food. I have several wild corns caught on my farm and they will eat almost anything. I always feed them last because I can use food that was refused by a captive born snake without any waste.

I totally agree. I have 2 WC that are just as tame and easy to handle as a CB. They also eat anything put before them without constricting.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
Chip
I third that!

Yep, w/c cornsnakes are my "garbage disposals." I don't even thaw food out for them until I'm sure nobody skipped a meal.

I've heard the contrary with w/c gray band kings, but I've never run across a wild corn that wasn't a great eater of thawed.

Old 02-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #10
CrazyCorn
My WC's do the same thing, if I have let over food it goes straight to them. They always readily except another meal. Keyna, seeing as your in FL. like me it is I would bet a good chunk of change it is WC.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google