CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Thieves' Expanding Repetoire

Old 07-29-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
Aozora
Thieves' Expanding Repetoire

I haven't been documenting them like I did last year, but we've had a ton of black rat snakes show up again this year. Today, we had to shoo off a beast of a snake who was so big he managed to damage the waste trays they usually sit on. I thought that one snake sighting was enough for today.

Well. I went out to check on the chickens and collect eggs, and when I opened the coop look what I found. It took him a heroic effort to get the egg all the way into his mouth, and then I put him in the forest to finish swallowing it.

I don't mind sharing a few eggs, but I really hope he doesn't tell his buddies about this.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
XenDrgn
Did the female you caught ever lay eggs?

Old 07-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
Aozora
No, she never did. She may have been ovulating, which is why I felt lumps.

I went out today to collect eggs again, and guess who was there... and who had just finished eating an egg. I think he may be a problem child. I may have to relocate this one, even though I don't really want to.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
XenDrgn
I find it interesting the difference between how often snakes eat in the wild vs in captivity.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #5
Aozora
Well, snakes are opportunistic feeders. This guy has discovered a good source of food, so he's going to exploit it. Hence why I'm thinking if he keeps this up I'm going to have to relocate him.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Ravenessa
He's beautiful <3

Old 12-31-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
Zach B
Looks like the one that lives in my grandfather's 1940 Pontiac in the field out back. Not sure why he likes that car so much always assumed it had to do with the heat and possibley mice

Old 12-31-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Myca
Does he allow you to pick him up and cart him outside?

Old 12-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
Zach B
No he isn't that trusting. He just kind of hangs out. Sometimes he gets pretty close to the house but everybody pretty much just leaves him alone. I've gotten close to him and even found him but he doesn't let anybody handle him. Takes care of the field mice. We have tons of wild snakes around my area. I've nearly been bitten by copper heads a few times do to not paying attention when walking through the woods. I see grass snakes all the time but I couldn't tell you what they are specifically. Just that they are green and yellow.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:36 PM   #10
Zach B
Should probably correct myself on the grass snakes black and yellow don't know why i said green.