CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Went for a little drive...

Old 08-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #21
Twolunger
What's the latest on the Corvette? Were you able to have someone check out the clutch problem? It's a real bummer when you know something is wrong and you don't want to make it worse. My brother always said that if you hear a strange noise something is wrong and don't ignore it. Hope you found a skilled mechanic that could assess the problem.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #22
Rich Z
No, haven't gotten any further with this. Seems like every place I contacted they say they will help me, then just blow me off for some reason.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #23
Twolunger
My son had to sell his '78 Corvette to come up with cash when he moved down here. He's been whining about it ever since. He put so much money into it, that it was like giving 4 pints of blood when he sold it. Now he's looking to buy another one, but this time he's going stock.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #24
Rich Z
Yeah, I hear that. Sometimes I toy with the idea of selling my '09 Z06, but since it was the last generation to come stock with the LS7 427 engine, I wonder if sometime down the road I would regret doing that.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #25
Twolunger
Take care of the clutch issue and all will be right with the world again.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:18 PM   #26
Rich Z
Yeah, looks like come this Winter I may be doing that job myself. Has to cool down in that garage before I want to spend as much time in there as I will need to.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #27
Rich Z
Well, I did hear back from the place that might help me with that drivetrain issue. Apparently they have been very busy, but they say they still have me on the list to bring the car in when they can. I dunno, maybe they are just stringing me along hoping I will just get frustrated and go away. Hope not, but can't rule it out at this point.

So in the meantime I'm going to be doing research on the brand and model of clutch I will buy if I have to do this myself.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #28
Twolunger
Well, if you do it yourself you will know that it is done correctly. Plus the labor rate will be much less.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:31 AM   #29
Rich Z
Yeah, perhaps the labor rate will be lower, but things could get away from me. Figuring, "while I have all this apart", I may just start replacing other stuff. And things will go downhill rather quickly.

When I had a busted seal on one of my rear half shaft axles (the shops that worked on it prior did not notice that a brake line was rubbing against it), I was in the process of replacing the half shaft, when I figured I might as well replace the hub too. Well, might as well get the shaft for the other side, and replace that hub as well. Heck, might as well replace the front hubs, while I am at it. And instead of cleaning up the rotors, why not buy new ones? Might as well replace the brake pads too. And what about the brake fluid bleed screws? Heck, why not put in stainless braided brake lines too? Man those brake pad brackets look dingy looking. Why don't I paint them while they are off?

See what I mean? I was doing that with everything I touched on the car. Of course, I guess there really isn't that much left that COULD be replaced, now that I think of it. If that clutch wasn't bad (presumably) it is new enough that it shouldn't need to be replaced right now. Come to think of it, there really isn't all that much left on the car that isn't practically relatively new. The frame and body panels have 99,000 miles on them, but the drivetrain and everything else that is a moving part, fuel line, etc., have only between 10,000 and 15,000 miles on them, if that.

I guess this is why that drivetrain noise aggravates me so much. This is pretty much a relatively new car.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google