CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Snow?

Old 01-26-2019, 06:22 PM   #11
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Have no fear, heat will be here by April. You may even get to do a little field herping while here.
Heck, yesterday I saw a fence lizard sunning on the side of a tree along my driveway. You can see green anoles out all year long nearly every day here in north Florida. Saw a black racer coiled up and sunning alongside our foot/bike path through the woods a couple of days ago. So all you need is a bright sunny day, even with the air temps being a little cool.

In April you could probably be swimming in most parts of Florida.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Heck, yesterday I saw a fence lizard sunning on the side of a tree along my driveway. You can see green anoles out all year long nearly every day here in north Florida. Saw a black racer coiled up and sunning alongside our foot/bike path through the woods a couple of days ago. So all you need is a bright sunny day, even with the air temps being a little cool.

In April you could probably be swimming in most parts of Florida.
If you want to swim in my area you better be in a pool. The red tide never really left. The snow crab trappers had to give up early, and there's virtually no nice fish left anywhere near shore. I read yesterday that it's been 16 months so far. The tourist economy is in the dumper.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:32 PM   #13
MysticExotics
And here I have been wishing for snow here in the Puget Sound.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #14
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
If you want to swim in my area you better be in a pool. The red tide never really left. The snow crab trappers had to give up early, and there's virtually no nice fish left anywhere near shore. I read yesterday that it's been 16 months so far. The tourist economy is in the dumper.
Yeah, Connie has been wanting to take a little trip down to Sanibel just for a few days to eat at her favorite restaurant there. But we've gotten into high season there, and with the red tide crap, we just don't have any interest in going anywhere near the coast lately. Haven't even driven over to St. George Island, even though the problem probably hasn't come this far north.

A couple of weekends ago we drove through Mexico Beach. Good Lord, what a mess it is out there. I took some video that I'll have to process one of these days. Honestly, I got tears in my eyes seeing all that destruction. So many people's dream beach homes just nothing but rubble. If they could even find that. You know many people couldn't afford the insurance, so they figured they would just roll the dice. So it is a complete loss to them. Nothing left but the lot the house used to stand on.

I sure am glad that storm didn't make a direct hit here. We don't have home insurance, neither. Mostly because of the ridiculous deductibles they have foisted on us. Even with insurance most people won't be able to afford to rebuild without taking out substantial loans.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #15
Twolunger
Most people can't visualize the impact of the hurricanes, or for that matter, losing your home in a wildfire. Just look around your home and think what you could take with you in your vehicle when told to evacuate. Pets are usually taken along, most will take some electronic items, women will take their jewelry, and some clothes are packed. Expecting to be back and finding water damage only, most of your possessions are left behind. Then you return, when the authorities allow it, to find your home a big pile of rubble.

My brother helped his neighbors look through their rubble. Important papers were missing, family portraits and albums were smashed and water logged, 10-60 years of family mementos were smashed, not to even mention furniture and appliances. Cars and boats were destroyed. I saw one picture of a pile of boats over 30 feet high on a couple city lots. It tears your heart out, but people go on, rebuild or relocate, but some
only have memories of what they lost.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #16
Rich Z
This has got to be one of the most eye-opening and impressive videos I have ever seen of a hurricane and what it would be like to be right in the thick of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ofAJSqpLM

I wouldn't want to be anywhere NEAR this sort of thing. It would likely peel your skin right off of your bones.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:18 PM   #17
Twolunger
I'm not showing that to Sue, she will make me evacuate again.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #18
Rich Z
Yeah, the day before Michael was supposed to make landfall, my spider sense was tingling like crazy. Forecasts were calling for it to lose strength the closer it got to shore, and I just felt that wasn't going to happen at all.

So we bailed out and headed over to the east coast. It was the only direction that seemed safe to go. I sure am glad I don't have the animals to be responsible for any longer. That would certainly have complicated matters.

As it was, Michael was only 1 mph below being rated a Cat 5 storm. You WALK about 3 miles per hour, so the difference was negligible, to say the least.

Anyone who thinks they can tough it out with a major hurricane really needs to watch that video. It looks like a very easy way to die.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #19
MysticExotics
I have to say, I'm glad I don't have to worry about hurricanes.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #20
Rich Z
I think if there were a perfect place for everyone to live, then everyone would be living there. And then it would no longer be perfect, because it would be way too crowded.

I guess a lot of people probably think that Hawaii is a perfect place to live. Until a volcano erupts nearby. I know some things happen rarely, but yeah, that rare day COULD be today.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google