CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Ultra lavender to which male?

Old 03-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Rawren
Ultra lavender to which male?

I have a gorgeous ultra lavender and thinking of breeding her to my creamsicle.... Worth it? What kind of morphs am I looking at?

First time breeding so very newb

Old 03-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
MysticExotics
Since Creamsicles are hybrids, your chance of selling them might not be as good.
Personally, I would not, but it's your choice. If you're prepared to keep all the babies, or have people lined up who do want that kind of mix, then do it if you want.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
Rawren
I also have a male amel. Better options?

Old 03-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #4
Shiari
With an amel male you'll get ultramel babies. But those are relatively low end morphs and can still be hard to move.

Honestly, the best male for her would be an opal with hets that you can use to see if she shares those hets, and all the babies from such a pair would at least be ultramel lavenders.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #5
Rawren
I have a male snow but he's still a baby 😢 from what I've read, lavender and snow would yield an opal.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawren View Post
I have a male snow but he's still a baby 😢 from what I've read, lavender and snow would yield an opal.
Only if your snow is het lavender ... and if you're lavender is ultra and not ultramel, it literally cannot be het for amel so you'll never be able to make opals.

Most corn snake genes are simple recessive, which means to show the trait the animal must have 2 copies of the gene, and to have 2 copies that means they must get one copy from each parent. If they only have 1 copy they can produce babies with the trait when paired to the right mate, but they themselves won't show the morph.

So I have a ghost het amel for example. Because she's only het (1 copy of the gene) for amel, she looks like a normal ghost, but she has made amel and snow babies. If she had 2 copies of the gene she'd be a hypo snow.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
albinoscooby
Yeah, the traits wouldn't come out all that well since it's a hybrid. Like MysticExotics said. You can probably trade them, or sell them to a whoe saler. None the less, it's your first time breeding and a learning experience. Have some fun with it

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google