CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

PetsMart raided, Animals Confiscated

Old 03-30-2018, 06:14 AM   #1
Karl_Mcknight
PetsMart raided, Animals Confiscated

This is the kind of story we don't always like to hear about.

A lot of folks bash the "Big Name Box Stores" in some of their posts. Not every store is like this of course, but it only takes "1 Bad Apple to............"

Anyway, there is a PetsMart store very close to me that I can only speak highly of. They are absolutely great.

Then there is another one a few miles away I will not even go to anymore. Well this store has made "National News" (link below)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ion-topstories

Old 03-30-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
Twolunger
This is really sad. I used to love visiting pet shops but if I saw sick or neglected animals, or reptiles, I'd insist on speaking to the manager. Sometimes what was obvious to me wasn't obvious to the employees, or manager.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
DollysMom
My local Petsmart is excellent. It’s always clean and I’ve never seen a sick looking animal there. The fish tanks and cages always look pristine. While I think the prices are insane unless something is on sale, if those prices mean a good clean store with healthy small animals and a nice cat adoption room, its a fair trade off.

We all know there are bad actors out there, not only among the chain stores, but I’ve seen dismal and dirty Mom and Pops. Sadly, one bad actor can negatively impact all pet sellers and owners. I feel incredibly angry that this Petsmart let the animals suffer.

I feel frustrated that no matter how well I care for my animals, in the eyes of the public and as a herp owner, I get painted with the black brush of the worst among us. One reason I only have 4 animals is so that things don’t get away from me. With 4 I can give them time, attention, the highest quality prey (even if it is more costly) and veterinary care. That’s not to say that excellent care can’t be given to 40 or 400 by those who have the dedication and resources, rather I’m saying that knowing one’s limitations is a big step in making sure one’s animals are cared for appropriately. Of course not being a sleezeball in the first place, as I suspect this less than one year Petsmart management was, also helps.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
Dragonling
It's important to remember that PETA lies. A lot. So I wouldn't put a huge amount of stock in their side of the story. If the employee who first contacted them is in any way a PETA supporter, I would not be surprised if the issues were conflated considerably. It would be SO EASY for me to record video of our isolation room and make a lot of claims of abuse and neglect.

I doubt the reasoning for not sending pets to the vet was to avoid losing bonuses, but management is still to blame, and likely not just any one manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
This is really sad. I used to love visiting pet shops but if I saw sick or neglected animals, or reptiles, I'd insist on speaking to the manager. Sometimes what was obvious to me wasn't obvious to the employees, or manager.
These were not animals on the sales floor, they were in the quiet room. It's extremely rare that customers are ever allowed in there.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
DollysMom
Dragonling. Thanks for the additional info. Of course anything PETA says is suspect. They will say and do anything to shut down pet stores. They will kill a pet dog because they believe that is a better fate than captivity. I wondered why they went straight to PETA in the first place. There are other places to report a subpar pet store.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
I have actually been in this store. It's the one I vowed never to go back to. The people working there are rude and unhelpful, the store was not orderly and clean as most are, and the reptiles looked to be in horrible shape. I sought out the employee in charge of reptiles, and he knew nothing about snakes, was afraid to handle them and therefore did not water and clean them nearly enough. I told the manager on duty what I thought and left, and I've never been back to that store. It did not surprise me to see them on our local news.

I also pay no attention to Peta. They are "Wackos" in my opinion. But this store has a serious problem compared to the other PetsMart stores I've been to.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
Dragonling
There are definintely problem stores, so I'm not horribly surprised. Even with PETA's spin and regardless of what managers did or did not say, the lack of treatment for the isolated pets was inexcuseable. I've been getting customers telling me the most interesting things about our sister store to the north, where I also had a piss poor experience the last time I visited, so I can relate.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:37 PM   #8
Karl_Mcknight
Just as an Update, I heard on the Local Nashville News yesterday (5/8/18) that charges have been filed against 3 of the store employees for "Cruelty to Animals."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google