CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

New Bloodred Cornsnake (100% Het Lavender, 50% Hypo)

Old 09-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
Sindrik8x
New Bloodred Cornsnake (100% Het Lavender, 50% Hypo)

So this is the cup my snake arrived in (labeled on the post-it) from VMS Herps. Never been an expert. But, initially was excited to have a Bloodred snake. But, am I to assume instead of the deep red that I would expect, that this snake will exhibit visual and physical characteristics of a Lavender (for certain) and possibly a hypo?

Old 09-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Shiari
Nope. Hets are referring to recessive traits here. This snake, for certain, carries one copy of the lavender gene and paired to the right mate could produce lavender babies. It has a 50% chance of carrying a hypo gene, and the same chance to be carrying an amel gene, and the same chance to be carrying a charcoal gene. You would have to test breed to find out if this snake actually carries those genes or not.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
Sindrik8x
Info direct from website:

Bloodred, 100% het Lavender, 66% het Charcoal, 50% het Hypo, Amel
Male #S130-04M
Hatched: 7/23/19
$80 SOLD (JD)

Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
Sindrik8x
Oh, ok. Thanks Shiara. Sorry for the ignorance as a returning owner. Just never an expert with this stuff by any means. Glad to know I still have a shot at the deeper reds . It's why I bought it.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
chris68
If you are looking for bloodreds with that deep red color finder a breed with what is know being called "Old school Bloodreds". A lot of "Bloodreds" being produced by hobbyists and breeders are offfshoots of bloodred projects, and while the end projects may look nice, the bloodreds produced don't always look like people expect a good "bloodred" to look like. Alot of times the resultant bloodreds aren't "up to snuff" hehe, and just show diffusion, and/or masque. Its a quiet site here anymore, but hopefully one of the members with years breeding bloodreds under their belt will chime in. Sean at VMS has nice stuff, so congrats on a sweet pickup

Old 09-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
Frank Pinello
I would add that over the next year expect your bloodred corn to gain an infusion of red as it matures. And possibly lighten up a bit. Almost all corn hatchlings look much different in color as adults, especially blood reds.
VMS website has a link to there breeders which shows you a comparison between their hatchlings and adults that will give you a general idea what to expect as all are a bit different even among the same blood lines.
Diffused is a more updated name for bloodreds since other color traits have been added to the blood red line. I have been breeding them for decades and they are one of my favorites. But I have a lot of favs.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Sindrik8x
Chris and Frank, thanks for this info. I did notice it's considerably more quiet on all the sites I used to frequent (IHerp and here). Kind of stinks tbh as I can't find any that are as hopping as what this used to be.

I was always curious the difference between diffusion and Bloodreds as it often seems the terms are used interchangeably. I will have to check out the VMS stuff on their site, but knew that they were a reputable distributer so took a shot. I'm happy with it as a hatchling and honestly just missed the hobby in general, so regardless I'm sure I'll love how it turns out as an adult.

Always good to learn more about your interests though. Thanks folks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google