CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

A couple questions about chicks and quale???

Old 08-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Chip
My corns never get anything but mice their whole lives. I might feed a few rat pups for any that lose weight after laying, but I honestly don't think variety in diet has any real benefit to the snake. They are perfectly designed to eat rodents. Also, many of them won't eat birds, be mindful of that.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
dave partington
So far only 3 of 55 adults given chicks won't eat them. Trying the other 55 adults tonight.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
diamondlil
All my adults get chicks as their staple diet, no refusals here!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Justine66
yeah, totally thought about that too chip!
oh well, I guess it could be worse lol nothing to worth about or anything.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
ghosthousecorns
I just ordered some quail, just to try giving to my pickier snakes that will only eat live or rat :/ Hope at least some of them go for it.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
ghosthousecorns
I dug up this thread to say the quail worked GREAT for me on my picky 'live only' and rat eater adult snakes. I got the day old size they were comparable in size to hoppers or weanling mice. Not a single snake of mine has refused them yet.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
Chip
Too funny, I had wild caught okeetees (with crazy feeding responses) some that would let them go, and others that loved them. I would try them on a picky feeder in an instant, but I would worry if I had a solid mouse feeder that I might compromise that. It's happened with rat pups and hairless mice to me before, maybe I'm just unlucky. But I'm a believer that if a corn is eating mice, they neither "miss' variety in their meal schedule nor benefit in any way I can perceive from prey item changes.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
ghosthousecorns
LOL trust me the ones that take f/t mice for me already aren't going to get to eat a quail- just the stubborn ones.
Can snakes be considered divas?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
Chip
Pretty sure they can.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
Justine66
lol well I'm glad to hear that they took them well, I haven't tried any qual as I can only get live ones near me and I don't have the heart to cull them myself or risk paracites..

so its a mouse only house here!
(unless down the road I end up with a picky snake.. fingers crossed I don't but who knows! )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google