CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How Many Mice Should I Order?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
BlackMamba
How Many Mice Should I Order?

I'm getting a baby corn snake in a few days and I don't know how many mice to order. I don't know it's weight but it was really small, I'd say roughly 1/4" in diameter and maybe 8-10" long from what I could see of it.

It seems like most people recommend ordering them online and since the shipping is really expensive I'd like to get it right the first time and not have to pay for shipping again really soon. How many of each size mice would you recommend for around a 6 month supply? Or is it safe to keep more longer then that?

Also, who would you recommend buying them from?

Any help would REALLY be appreciated.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
AliCat37
With only one corn snake, I wouldn't order in bulk until you hit adults.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
BlackMamba
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post
With only one corn snake, I wouldn't order in bulk until you hit adults.
I've heard that the big chain pet store mice are horrible, so what else can I do? I've seen a couple places that I could order smaller quantities like 25 and 50 from? What do you guys recommend?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
BlackMamba
I didn't mean to put the question mark after from. Really sucks that you can't edit posts (that I know of)...

Old 08-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Chip
I agree.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
Shaggy
You may be able to get feeders at a local reptile show. They bring them to you, so to speak. So you don't pay shipping.
I got a bag of 50 pinkies for less than two packs of 6 would have cost at Petsmart. Even if the last dozen go to waste, I still made out.
Otherwise, yeah, you may be up to buying them in small quantities at higher cost for just one snake. I see recommendations to feed baby and young snakes once a week (every 5 to 7 days). Eventually your sake may take two pinkies at a time before graduating to bigger game, but to do the math, six pinkies a month would be one every five days. 30 pinkies in five months, etc...

Old 08-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
AliCat37
Are there any local reptile stores around?
I agree about the chain store mice not being the best. I never had an issue with them except for once though. I wouldn't want my snakes on them forever, but I think they should be okay as long as they were kept frozen properly.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
New2this<3
You might want to ask the breeder you get your snake from. I bought like 20 pinkies for my baby from the breeder to last me until the reptile expo near me. I have also heard of people who live near each other spliting orders so the shipping isn't so bad.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
BlackMamba
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post
Are there any local reptile stores around?
I agree about the chain store mice not being the best. I never had an issue with them except for once though. I wouldn't want my snakes on them forever, but I think they should be okay as long as they were kept frozen properly.
No, unfortunately there are absolutely zero reptile stores near me. I didn't see any for at least an hour drive in all directions. There is a repticon in 3 months here, but obviously I need to get something before then. Maybe I could feed it the pet store ones until repticon and then get a good amount there ..

Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
New2this<3
Petsmart and petco sell frozen for about 1.80 each but I think petsmart only sells in packs of 3.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google