• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First time buying bulk f/t feeders!

Justine66

Cuddling with Colubrids<3
heyy all,

soo I've been looking into buying bulk feeders since Sirius is now on Adult mice and the shop I get mine from their, adults but the largest one I got last time was a 26 g one and all the others are only 20 or 21 grams...

and thy barily leave a lump in my boy tummy anymore, lol he's only a yearling and still growing!

and the adult mice are also a bit pricey.. $1.69 per mouse.. so I went and looked online and found Near North Rodents!! and they sell large adult mice for $1.00! way cheaper! AND there actually only a 20 minuet drive from me!!

Woot ! :D :laugh:
So I have a pick-up appointment for 4:00 pm tmrw!
I'm excited to save some $$$ and feed my babies,
lol ill be sure too let you guys know how it goes/the quality of the mice!

ALSO, if anybody has any tips on how to travel back with the frozen mice without them unthawing on the ride home?

I was just going to bring a small cooler and buy a bag of ice to throw over the mice for the 20 minuet drive, and just keep them in the trunk where its cold, with no pit stops of course! ;)

but any tips on transporting mice home and keeping them frozen would be much appreciated! :eek:

yeah... I would love to find some dry ice,
but you need to have either a lab license or teaching license to get the stuff here in Ontario..

neither of which I am :( lol

thanks though!

You don't really need something to freeze it for a 20 min drive i think. The ambient temperature of your car should be enough, unless it's a living hell inside your car. I bought like 10 mice once and left them in my car for 2 hours and I put them back in my fridge just fine.

bahahah!

yeah, well its already really cold here soo I'm thinking ill just toss them in a cooler and get the ice for good measure! lol

I think they'll be fine! :)

Justinine66 your plan will work fine. I sometimes pick up bulb mice at the "local" shows, an hour from me or more. I use a small cooler and put several of those re-freezable packs in the cooler. Never a problem. With your shorter drive you'll be fine.

oh wow!!!

great, thanks soo much Ziggysmom!
this was the only thing that I was worried about,

I feel much better now though! :eek:

That's really cool that you found a somewhat-local place to pick up mice. I get mine from Big Cheese (TX to WI) and they are a great price compared to the pet store. It's funny how excited we can get over these type of things!

Glad you're close enough to drive, that's awesome. I just got an order and paid $64 for shipping. Ouch.

But I did get a pound of dry ice to play with, so it was worth it ;)

Spyderk- ahaha! Yeah i know eh? "Dead animals for a low price and close by!!! Woo hoo! "
My mother thinks im nuts but shes nice about it lol :laugh:

Amanda- yeah.. 64$ in shipping isnt cheap! Thats why i was also so happy i found this place! Lol as long as the qualitys good, ill keep buying from them. 5-10 bucks in gas is wayyy cheaper! Although no dry ice.. :( aha!

Ill be sure to post how it goes!!!

Woo hoo!

I got them!
he said that theubwrre shipped in from the states this week, lol and they came packed nicely and clean! :D

very happy with the order, and the drive wasn't bad at all!

oh! and on top of that my boyfriend bought me a copy of 'Corn Snakes' the comprehensive owners guide by Kathy and Bill Love! (I've wanted it FOREVER and he found it!)

soo ill sum up today as an awesome day! :)
and the mice stayed nice and frozen for the ride home!

Woo hoo!

I got them!
he said that theubwrre shipped in from the states this week, lol and they came packed nicely and clean! :D

very happy with the order, and the drive wasn't bad at all!

oh! and on top of that my boyfriend bought me a copy of 'Corn Snakes' the comprehensive owners guide by Kathy and Bill Love! (I've wanted it FOREVER and he found it!)

soo ill sum up today as an awesome day! :)
and the mice stayed nice and frozen for the ride home!

That is a good day! I get excited on days when frozen mice come. Then I grab a bunch of freezer bags and open what I need to, and I weigh and sort according to weight in grams. My chest freezer has a spot with a ton of bags from 2-3 grams to 11-12 grams. :)

I have that book on my Nook, as well as Don Soderberg's. Good reading!

aha, that's kinda what I did.
they came in a large zip lock bag, so I figured I would weigh them all individualy and bag them individualy, with the weight of the mouse on the bag..

I figured this was better since it stops me from opening and closing the bag everytime I need a mouse!
their all in their own individual baggies.. lol

and then I put them in a plastic container with a lid, lol labled "DO NOT OPEN!" "snake food!" lol
it seems to work well!

and I'm also really glad that I got that book, :)
lol I'm keeping my eye open for his book aswell!!

haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure that ill find it one day!

Back