• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Spoiled rotten for cheap.

albertagirl

Sharan
I've been getting a little frustrated at the prices for things designated as "reptile", for example I've discovered that shaved aspen for small animals is approximately 1/10 the price of shredded aspen for reptiles, AND it's *way*less dusty! So I've been getting a little creative lately. Only one of these ideas is a DIY, the other is just a great deal!

My snakes were growing out of their caves and water bowls and needed the next size up. Here are the ones I was looking at. Instead, I found a molded bamboo dog water bowl which is a water bowl and hide in one. They cost me $6.50 each, and the snakes love them. I also think they are built in climate controlled, since the water evaporating above them would keep the bowl cooler than the surrounding air... I think. They are also dishwasher safe. Maybe they don't look so natural, but actually, they probably are more natural since they are bamboo rather than plastic or resin.
compare hide.png compare water.png

compare bowl DIY.jpg

More coming...

Next is these shelves. Again, the snakes love them, but I now have 8 snakes and only 4 shelves. I went to go order some more, and the price has gone up... a lot! So I ordered these expanding cupboard shelves for $8 and a $20 repticarpet was enough to cover all 4 shelves, and voila! I increased the interior floorspace of my cages by 25% for $13. Again, it's not as beautiful, and may not look as natural, but it's actually a lot easier to clean, so I'm quite pleased!

compare shelf.png

compare shelf DIY.jpg

compare my DIY.jpg

compare my DIY side.jpg

I. LOVE. THE. SHELVES!

I have been looking for a way to add more floor area that didn't take up a lot of visual space and those are perfect! I am totally stealing that idea.

Love both ideas for shelf and water bowl

I. LOVE. THE. SHELVES!

I have been looking for a way to add more floor area that didn't take up a lot of visual space and those are perfect! I am totally stealing that idea.

Thanks! I was quite pleased with how they turned out. I'm thinking I'll wrap the edges and legs with some fake vine and you'll never know there's a wire shelf under there! Now just to see if the snakes use them as much as the other guys use their fake rock ledges...

Back