CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Variety diffs and buying strategy

Old 05-25-2003, 03:06 PM   #1
dcrocker
Question Variety diffs and buying strategy

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and am interested in a corn for my 10 year old son. I kept various reptiles when I was a kid (california king, gopher snakes, lizards) so I basically know how to care for them. My son seems to like the normal coloring the best but I could probably sway him to consider something else if it made sense.
Are there any major differences in the robustness and temperment of any of the varieties? I have heard that some of the morphs have genetic problems which make them more susceptible to health issues.

Also, it's not clear to me if I'm better off buying from a local pet store or from an online breeder. It seems like buying locally let's me hand pick the snake and handle it before I buy it. But, I've heard people say that it's hard to know where the pet store snakes come from and it's better to buy from a reputable breeder. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 05-25-2003, 03:21 PM   #2
Kat
About the only temperment difference that I know of is that Sunkissed Okeetees (Hypo B's) tend to be more snippy and aggressive than other corns. I've not heard of any health issues related to morphs, other than some morphs might insist on lizards and will take some work to switch... but any reputable breeder will have them eating on mice before they're sold.

Unless you're really really good at determining a reptile's health, you don't want to shop at petstores. Too many petstores will neglect the care of their reptiles and/or provide misinformation. Your best bet is to buy from a -reputable- breeder. If you buy from someone like Don, Kathy, or Rich, you won't get to pick out the exact snake you're buying, but you'll be sure to get a healthy one. Do your homework, make sure whoever you're buying from has a good reputation, and you should be in good shape.

If you don't want to order over the 'net, and want to pick from some sort of selection in person, then find a show where one or more of the above three breeders is attending, and go there. You'll be able to pick through the corns they've brought with them.

-Kat

Old 05-25-2003, 04:32 PM   #3
dcrocker
Kat,

Thanks for the quick response. Just this morning, my son and I went thru all the pictures on Serpenco and we both still
prefer the "boring" normal coloring.

I will follow your advice and stick with the breeders. I agree that buying at a show would be a good option, but I live in CA and it doesn't seem like there are any shows out here coming up soon. It's probably not a big deal though...

Regarding the people you mentioned, I obviously know who you mean by Rich. I assume Kathy is Kathy Love of cornutopia.com, right? Who is Don?
Also, I found cornsnakemorphs.com run by Sean Bradley. He's been very helpful via email. Would he be considered a reputable breeder?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 05-25-2003, 04:45 PM   #4
dcrocker
Talking a show in june near me!

After my last reply, I found there is a show in San Mateo (near me) on June 14 and 15. I will definately go to that one.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can find out what breeders will be there and whether or not they are reputable? If I can do some research beforehand, perhaps this would be a good place to buy. However, I wouldn't want to buy from someone I didn't know anything about.

Dan

Old 05-25-2003, 09:22 PM   #5
surfrkidTS
I find that many people from the shows are very nice people and have great snakes. At the IRBA in Pamona, there was only one booth I wouldn't have bought a corn from because a few had small kinks towards the tails. All the rest loked fine, and almost every person there will let you hold it. A smaller breeder may be better sometimes anyway. They are more likely to have all shedding and feeding information since birth. Many of the corns I saw were under 60$ and normals were the most abundant of all

Old 05-25-2003, 09:49 PM   #6
Probe7899
I think a corn snake is an excellent choice for your ten year old son. They are usually not picky eaters and are docile. My little sister who is 9 loves the corn and is always holding him. But be very care full snakes are addicting. I started out with a corn as my first snake a year ago and now have two corns, a ball python, a BCI, and a burmese.
Brian

Old 05-25-2003, 10:00 PM   #7
Kat
Don is Don Soderberg of South Mountain Reptiles (www.cornsnakes.NET).

-Kat

Old 05-26-2003, 10:34 AM   #8
Tammy Jenkins
Smile You might try this...

Dan

I found the website for the IRBA shows. You might be able to get a list of the vendors that will be at the show if you email a request for one. If they can give you a list then you can inquire about some of the breeders here or the BOI and be better prepaired before you go to the show. Hope this helps.

http://www.irba.com

Tammy Pinkston
HISS THIS HERPS

PS...There is also a printable coupon there to get a discount on the entry fee.

Old 05-26-2003, 11:28 AM   #9
dcrocker
Thanks Tammy...
But, I emailed them already and the mail bounced.

Dan

Old 05-27-2003, 10:36 AM   #10
Gregg
Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum. I went to the show in San Mateo last year. Let me tell you, don't get your hopes up too high. The building in which it is held is huge, but only a third of it--at most--was filled with venders. It seemed so empty you could almost hear crickets chirpping. Anyway, I'm going again this year to see if it is going to be any different. Maybe I'll see you there.

Or, you might want to consider this, as an alternative: my son and I will be having some baby snakes this year, for the first time. Amongst the eggs now incubating are 17 which will be normal corns, het. for snow. You and your son are more than welcome to come over and check out the babies, once we have them out and eating.

It's just a suggestion. Good luck.

>>Oh yes, I forgot! There will be another show later in the year, in the North Bay, in Santa Rosa. And, since you're a Bay Area person, check out the East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley. The Best reptile store in the area. http://www.eastbayvivarium.com/ <<

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google