• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

corn snake RI timeline

kdev

hello everyone,

my corn snake (whose age I do not know, but I've been caring for him for 3 years now) has developed what I think is probably an upper respiratory infection. He was housed in 65-70F temperatures with a 85F hot spot for the last 4 weeks while my friend was watching him (usually I keep him at 72-77F with a 85F hot spot). I just got back 2 days ago, and his breath is audible when I hold him and he occasionally seems to sneeze/wheeze. He doesn't have any mucous outside his mouth, is vigorous when I hold him, and he ate today. I haven't figured out how to get him to open his mouth yet, so I don't know about the mucous in there though.

I've raised his temperature back up and requested a vet appointment, but their earliest available time is in 4 days because of COVID19 reducing their hours. I'm really inexperienced with the progression of RIs, but I know they can become lethal very quickly. I'm doubly worried because I don't know when the wheezing started, since I've been away for the entire month. Should I wait for the scheduled time or is it better to be cautious and try and take him in for urgent care?

I've seen snakes sneeze before with nothing wrong. Sometimes they can inhale some dust just like you or I. If the snake is struggling to breath or sneezing a lot you may have a point. Keep in mind, snakes in the wild live in much colder temperatures than what you are describing. I've been keeping pet snakes for over 45 years, and I've only had 1 that "Caught a Cold" and required a vet visit. It was treated with an injection of antibiotics and the Vet instructed me to raise the temperature inside the cage by about 3 degrees, which I did. Several days later the snake was fine.

I since found out, that the snake probably didn't even require the injection, but of course the Vet appreciated the money for the visit and the injection. In many cases, simply raising the temperature of the housing by about 3 or 4 degrees will aid the snake if it is in fact sick. And if the snake isn't sick, raising the temp a few degrees for a week or two won't hurt it.

Back