CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Double clutch (infertile) normal?

Old 05-14-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
MissJennifer
Double clutch (infertile) normal?

Hi everyone
So a week ago (roughly; I'd need to dbl check dates on emails w/vet), my corn laid 3 slugs. As this had NEVER happened in the time I've owned Crue, talked back & forth with vet; checked the three on viability & we thought situation was done.
I offered her a lg mouse a few days later and refusal.
Yesterday bedding arrived & I cleaned out the whole tank (good scrub down) and she loved it. Bedding is about 3 - 4" deep as she loves to bury herself.
So late last night she disappeared; moved her water bowl at 8ish tonight to give fresh water & discover her WITH a new clutch?!
Naturally, I'm giving her vet the good news haha. In all seriousness, is this normal? I know it's normally 12 -24; I can only see 7. Since she's nesting under her water bowl instead of the huge log, should I leave it (but fresh water)?
When do I remove the eggs? I'm leaving tomorrow & not back until Sunday night - should I plan on driving back to remove them?
Thanks so much (I feel I can only harass the vet so much)

On pics.... Two are Crue after going back into the tank yesterday - hasn't eaten in 2 months (not hungry)
Rest is tonight

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Old 05-14-2020, 11:56 PM   #2
Shiari
She still has some eggs left to go. Leave her with fresh water. Double clutches are fairly common, they are usually smaller than the first clutch and usually happen about 60 days after the first clutch was laid.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:15 AM   #3
MissJennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
She still has some eggs left to go. Leave her with fresh water. Double clutches are fairly common, they are usually smaller than the first clutch and usually happen about 60 days after the first clutch was laid.
Thank you!
Now I figured out placement of water bowl over her while she's there, will having the water from. Fri to Sun be okay?
Reason on my dbl asking on point:
My bf has snake experience (pythons & constrictors), but he normally just keeps an eye on her while I'm off seeing my kids - mist, change water & if she's feeling social handle for a few.
I'm not 100% sure if he's comfortable with the fresh water change for Saturday.

This pic is her under the bowl.(it's a med. Sized dog bowl & she curls up under it). Her head is straight up.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:29 AM   #4
Shiari
The water can be changed sunday instead. It won't hurt her.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:28 AM   #5
MissJennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
The water can be changed sunday instead. It won't hurt her.
Okay; thank you!

Old 05-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
MissJennifer
So update for here-
Checked when I got home (was late)
Total of 13 eggs; AND she's in Blue?! So still at least 2 eggs in her; same position as when I left Fri evening. Photos/update sent to vet & waiting on news from there.
I'm hoping the shed isn't making things difficult; but they do this in the wild so.... But the timing.
She is drinking which is good. The pic of her on the moss (just misted) is after I got the slugs & gave fresh water.
Very last photo (tail from under bowl) is how I found her this morning. She "heard" the morning activity starting & curled it back under after I got the pic.

Temps are still maintained & now that she's in blue misting will go up from 2x to 4x/day.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
Seriva Senkalora
This is not a double clutch... Those aren't laid only a week apart. Normally the second clutch is laid around the time the first one will hatch. Sometimes they lay a few eggs some days before the rest I'd the clutch. It's possible for her becoming eggbound after trying to lay for over a week now! Take an eye on her and if the last eggs still don't move, take her to a vet. Honestly, after nothing has changed over last weekend, I wouldn't wait too long.

Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google