CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

opinions on hamsters!

Old 09-10-2002, 11:34 PM   #1
Ares
opinions on hamsters!

I went to the pick up some f/t hoppers the other day and when I got there
the guy told me he only had four left and if I wanted I could use f/t hamsters
instead. I asked him if they had the same nutritional value as hoppers and he said yes.

I haven't fed them to my snake yet cause I wanted to check it out with you guys (and gals) first.

Has anyone had any experience with feeding hamsters to their corns??
If so please tell??

Old 09-11-2002, 12:29 AM   #2
danz
Hello, Nope never tried myself, but I read on another forum that only larger snakes should be fed hamsters....smaller sized snakes eating hamsters can get compaction...they get stopped up because of the fur.

Old 09-11-2002, 03:02 AM   #3
Neil
I also read on another forum that hamsters shouldn't be used as a permanent diet for some reason. I don't know why but it was said. Also, I would think that dwarf hamsters would be better.

Old 09-11-2002, 08:20 AM   #4
Jr Nimeskern
I dont know about you but... Hamsters are alot more expensive then mice... I would just stick with mice they are cheaper come in a bigger range of sizes... and if you get a monster corn then you could just feed it rats... rats are a little more expensive then mice but they are alot cheaper then hamsters... at least this is what I have observed... Im not sure about the hamster nutrional value... but I would stick with the good old mouse...

Old 09-11-2002, 08:55 AM   #5
Tim Madsen
The only problem with feeding other types of rodents, that I see, is that your snake may like them so much that they wont eat mice again. This happens sometimes but not often. Some rodents are higher in fat than mice but nutritionally all of them are pretty much the same. IMHO

Old 09-11-2002, 05:56 PM   #6
little twiglet
i have heard that hampsters are ok but with young snakes it is best to shave them first!!! YES YOU HEARD ME RIGHT!
but you shouldnt put them on hamsters for a long period of time get gack on to hoppers because they can get addicted like if you feed them lizards they can be funny and stop wanting mice all together and you end up footing the bill for a diet of lizards that arn't nutrionally brilliant anyway

so the answer is yes you can feed shaved hamsters but not to make a habit of it!

Old 09-12-2002, 02:54 PM   #7
SilverTongue
yeah I heard that hampsters are fine minus the fur, but they are very fatty and your snakes could get addicted to a very hairy, costly, and fatty lil critter. Good thing is though they are just as fast at reproducing as mice are

Old 09-12-2002, 03:11 PM   #8
danz
I also heard that you can shave a hamster real quik-like using duct tape....

how could I ever resist that one-

Old 09-12-2002, 04:25 PM   #9
Gregg
Unhappy No, not little Ham-Hams!

(1st Verse)
It's Hamtaro time!

Whee! Yippie! Yeah!
Kushi-Kushi Ticky-Ticky
Hamtaro!

When we work together it's much better!
My best friend!

We like sunflower seeds. . .khrrmp khrrmp khrrmp.
My Ham-Hams!

If she heads for trouble, we won't let her!
Hamtaro!

Little Hamsters, Big Adventures!

(Bridge)
Laura's gone to school, let's go to our Ham-Ham Clubhouse!

We can fix their troubles just be quiet as a mouse

Watch out for those cats you know they're smarter than you think

But if we work together we can make their plans sink!

(2nd Verse)
Hamtaro!

Snoozer, Howdy, Penelope, Panda,
My best friends!

Oxnard, Bijou, Cappy, Maxwell
My Ham-Hams!

Dexter, Boss, Pashmina, Jingle
Hamtaro!

Little Hamsters, Big Adventures!

'scuse me while I work out, gotta run on my wheel

(Ending)
Hamtaro!
Hamtaro's here to help you!

Hamtaro!
Hamtaro's team is for you!

Taken From: www.hamtaro.com/song_lyrics.html

Old 09-12-2002, 04:39 PM   #10
Alicia
Thanks Gregg, now that song is going to run thru my head the rest of the night. As soon as I saw the words the tune sprung into my head.

It's one of my daughters favorites

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google