• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bitten?

Have you been bitten by a CORN?

• Total voters
Well, I just got nailed by a rat (as in rodent, not snake). I'll take a corn over a rat bite any day! If she wasn't gravid she'd be in a snake already. :eatsmiley

I've already stopped counting the bites by hatchlings, but I've only been bitten once by one of my adult corns. But that was more like an accident during feeding ;)

My 5 ft grey rat snake however bites at anything that comes close, even at the glass of the viv. And even after handling it with gloves for five minutes it still tries to bite. Pity... :)

DAND said:
Well, I just got nailed by a rat (as in rodent, not snake). I'll take a corn over a rat bite any day! If she wasn't gravid she'd be in a snake already. :eatsmiley
Lol, those things can be vicious.

There are two kinds of herpers....

Those that have been bitten, and those that will be.

It is just a part of the game. If you just accept that it is going to happen, it is much less of a shock when it actually does. ;)

If you want to learn exactly how docile corns are, play with a hungry boa! :eek1:

CAV said:

It is just a part of the game. If you just accept that it is going to happen, it is much less of a shock when it actually does. ;)

If you want to learn exactly how docile corns are, play with a hungry boa! :eek1:

Yeah, an Argentine. :grin01:

I was bitten 3 times by my Reverse Okeetee the other day, she is having a hard time adjusting. She is DEFINATELY getting better....it sure made me laugh though with her tail rattling and her striking my hand. She thinks she is SO tough...lol.

She has been really flighty every time I've taken her out, except this last time, I decided to try something different. I put on a long sleeve shirt and coaxed her into my sleeve. She was curled up in there for about half an hour or more. When she finally crawled out, she was calm as can be.

LOL! Mine is no longer allowed up my sleeve. That is where he goes to poop... little brat.

I've never been bitten by my snakes, but I have been tagged at (repeatedly) by an adult python and a yearling leucistic texas rat. Of course with the rat I had food, but still... evil little buggers, those two were. The rat was just being a rat, but there was definitely something wrong with the python. He's now strictly a display snake. lol

I think most people (outside the herp world) associate a snake bite with a pair of fangs because of the popularity of snake TV shows featuring venomous snakes. They don't know that corns, rats, kings, etc. have rows of itty bitty teeth. Heck, I didn't even realise my Okee had ahold of my arm until I glanced over and thought, "wow, she's biting me". Now I have the outline of her teeth on my skin and I think it looks cool.

Even though it didn't hurt, I'd still rather get another tattoo than get bit!! :grin01:

Just once

Fang got me at his last feeding. He was in shed, but both my boys are ready and willing to eat whether or not they can see what they're eating. Unfortunately, it's hard to grab a mouse you can smell but not see. :rolleyes: Feeding went something like this:

Strike 1: Missed mouse, bit his own tail.
Strike 2: Missed mouse, bit my thumb.

I ended up placing the darn thing on his head.

He looked so disappointed in my fingernail... :)

I am actually looking foreward to getting tagged. I don't think my Aluvia will be the one who does it though. After college, I can expand my collection and have even more fun ;)

CAV said:

It is just a part of the game. If you just accept that it is going to happen, it is much less of a shock when it actually does.

Bingo. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Love the new avatar :cheers:

cav said:
Those that have been bitten, and those that will be.QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. Catching them in the wild (and housing w/c's) makes it a near certainty. Breeding (and handling clutches of hatchlings) makes it as certain as death and taxes.

Breeders: what is the longest you think you've ever gone without a bite? :)

Yeah, an Argentine.

I want one of those but their hard to get hold of over here, i'll be getting a bci instead around setpember.

Corn snake bite? The amount of times my amel chewed on my finger's when i got him and i didn't realize he was doing it.

I've been bitten several times by my one hatchling. She is VERY cranky!! I think she's in permanent PMS.

My babies always bite...but hey, when you are that size, it is natural to think everything is going to eat you!

Only been bit by one of my older ones once and she realized in a hurry that I wasn't lunch...case of mistaken identity I think...

iv been bitten by a hatchling corn and a 30" ball python. THe python bite stung a little bit and drew blood but still was no big deal. THe python bite happened durring feeding so i started wearing gloves when taking my snake out of the cage and out of the tub to feed.

caching wild snakes me to!

Their bark is worse than their bite but I have heard of someone getting bit and getting an infection sounds like a pretty off chance though.

Funny I'd get a notice of this thread while holding a cloth over a snake bite tonight! As for infection, I'd suggest that the infection would likely occur after the bite. In other words, as unlikely as such a tiny injury getting infected would be anyway; chance of infection wouldn't decrease too much if it were to occur from a clean kitchen knife. I swear I get more irritation from a cat scratch or gardening.

UPDATE!

I got bit twice...thats right twice...the other night by one of my redtails. She is only about 3.5 feet long but DAMN did that hurt!

Back