CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Carnivorous plants....

Old 04-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #21
Rich Z
more....

Old 04-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #22
Rich Z
more....

Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #23
Rich Z
more...

Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #24
Outcast
Very nice collection Rich!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #25
Rich Z
Thanks!

I found out what those yellow flowers are. It's a form of terrestrial bladderwort. Which interestingly enough is another type of carnivorous plant. So I'm glad I didn't pull them all out of there thinking they were just some sort of weed trying to take over. Actually, Connie liked them, and I probably would have had a fight on my hands had I said I was going to do that.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 AM   #26
Outcast
Yeah. I thought they were a bladderwort, but didn't want to speak out of turn in case they weren't. I read the answer on the Fauna thread, the guy also said that they can become weedy.. So you may end up having to pull a few... Bladderworts are pretty sweet...

There is a type of desert carnivorous plant that eats nematodes with the small traps it has underground... It's pretty interesting.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #27
Rich Z
I had no idea that bladderworts came in terrestrial varieties. I thought they were all aquatic. Consequently I had no interest in them at all. Heck, having some that would eat nematodes would be pretty handy to have, as nematodes can be a real pest in the garden. But would they survive in the enrichened soil of a typical garden plot?

Old 04-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #28
Outcast
Not sure, I don't think so.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #29
kc261
They are so cool! I'm glad they are doing well for you this spring, so I can enjoy them vicariously through your photos!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #30
ZiggysMom
I believe that for Bladderworts terrestrial is relative. Those that you have enjoy the "terestrial-ness" of your bog garden, instead of being floating plants in ponds that many of the bladderworts are.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google