CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Carnivorous plants....

Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #31
Rich Z
Yeah, these things are rather interesting. The sundews seem to be very easy to propagate from seed, as I see a bunch of new ones coming up from the seed that got set by the original plants. Evidently you just have to scatter them on the bare moist soil and just leave them be. I just ordered some seed of one of the larger more exotic varieties to see if I have any luck with them. I'm also feeling good enough about how this is going to think about making a much larger bog area to play with. Of course, all it takes is one armadillo deciding to root around in there and a lot could get destroyed. So I might have to put up a small fence around the bogs to keep that from happening. Again. Already happened once last year, and I think I lost some flytraps that time.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:54 AM   #32
Rich Z
Had the camera in hand when I walked past the mini bogs with the venus fly traps in them, so.......

Looks like several of them are going to flower this year. The sundews are going berserk producing flower stalks.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #33
Outcast
I love the Akai Ryu, I used to have a couple of them, but they I started them inside and haven't perfected the transition process to outdoors yet, and I burned them all... Little did I know that 4 hours of direct sunlight out here equals a full day's worth of sun, according to one of the local nurseries...

Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #34
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I love the Akai Ryu, I used to have a couple of them, but they I started them inside and haven't perfected the transition process to outdoors yet, and I burned them all... Little did I know that 4 hours of direct sunlight out here equals a full day's worth of sun, according to one of the local nurseries...
Yeah, I did that when I got my original plants. I thought that I had killed them, but they grew back without any issues. They seem to be hardier plants than I thought they would be.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #35
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Yeah, I did that when I got my original plants. I thought that I had killed them, but they grew back without any issues. They seem to be hardier plants than I thought they would be.
Mine never came back... Unfortunately... I really liked them.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #36
Rich Z
Later this afternoon Connie and I were catching small grasshoppers off of the fruit trees and feeding them to the venus flytraps. Country (huckleberry) living doesn't get any better than this!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #37
fyrefocks
Fun stuff, Rich. Have you considered adding Sarracenia to the bog?

Old 05-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #38
fyrefocks
Oops. I see you have some in there. I really like it, your set up. I wish I had the space or time, but I don't. So for now I'll keeping randomly adding whatever catches my fancy when I see it. My windowsill is pretty, and fly free, at least.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:13 AM   #39
Outcast
I really like my little Cephalotus. It is a very interesting plant.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #40
Rich Z
Honestly, I don't have much interest in the pitcher plants. But the flytraps and sundews really fascinate me. I did have a few pitcher plants, but apparently the soil being too wet for a spell did all but one of them in. There are some small ones coming up next to one of the flytraps that seemed to have survived.

I'm trying my hand with growing some sundews from seeds I recently got, so we'll see how that goes. And looks like the larger flytraps are going to produce flowers this year, so I will try to harvest the seeds and try growing them as well.

The plants all seem to be doing pretty well now that I put more drainage holes into those tubs. And we got a LOT of rain the past few days, but the water level dropped pretty quickly to keep the plants from staying flooded.

The heavy pine pollen we had a little while ago made a mess, though, forming a kind of scum over top the soil. Hopefully the small sundews coming up, apparently from seeds produced last year, can push on through that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google