CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Do you guys breed rats too?

Old 08-20-2004, 07:55 AM   #1
Amanda E
Do you guys breed rats too?

Right now all I'm keeping are mice, mainly for pinkies and fuzzies, but I am going to eventually need feeder rodents larger than that once my supply of f/t adult mice runs out.

I was thinking that it would probably be better to breed a few rats, so that I'm not wasting a bunch of time and food to get the mice up to size, as the rats would be of good size before they're weaned.

But the one thing that's kept me from breeding rats is that I'm wondering if I will have problems switching the snakes from mice to rats, or back to mice when I have the occasional breeder mouse to feed off.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I guess another good thing about breeding rats would be the excuse to get a larger snake to eat the adult rats, right?

Old 08-20-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
DAND
Sometimes they won't take the rats, and other times they will. I have some that are more than large enough to eat rat pups but will avoid contact. Put a mouse in and WHAM. Some are just picky and others just don't seem to care.
I scent my pinky mice with rat pups with my hold backs to insure they will transfer easier when the time comes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google