CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

New snake

Old 04-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #12
kayjaypah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post

Thanks Dragonling, that article was quite helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #13
DLena
I use Aspen for my corns even though it's annoying to clean up from the floor. It's cheap, absorbs well, is super easy to spot clean. Reptichip seemed too moist/made the cage too humid overall. Care Fresh proved too undependable dust-wise. Toner ink has been shown to cause cancer in people with constant exposure, so I didn't want to risk a little snakelet crawling around in it. I've heard there is another brand out there like Care Fresh that is consistently less dusty, but I don't know what brand it is. Anyone know? I want to try it.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #14
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
I've heard there is another brand out there like Care Fresh that is consistently less dusty, but I don't know what brand it is. Anyone know? I want to try it.
Kaytee Clean & Cozy. My hamster enthusiast friends swear by the stuff, as do some in my fancy mouse groups.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #15
DLena
Thank you. I'm going to try it out in a couple of weeks when I do my deep cleaning.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #16
DollysMom
I get my aspen from Amazon, btw. Its much cheaper there than in a pet store, and if you have Prime the shipping is free. If you live near a Tractor Supply store you can get a huge bag of aspen there even cheaper.

There are pros and cons to any substrate and there are many known safe alternatives to the shredded office paper. Never use pine or cedar. Those are definitely dangerous and can be fatal.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #17
kayjaypah
I did go and get some aspen and changed out the shredded paper, just to err on the side of caution. Thanks for all the advice every one!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #18
DollysMom
Sounds great! Keep us posted on your little one.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #19
kayjaypah
I have another question for the group, I wanted to put a stick or something for him ( I have no name yet) to climb and slither around on. Do I have to buy one? Or can I use one from the yard?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #20
DLena
Don't use one from the yard. It could have bugs or spores on it. If you purchase some from a pet store, you need to make sure it doesn't have any sharp parts or crevasses where your snake could get pinched or stuck. Some people make jungle gyms out of pvc or repurpose other things for their snakes to climb on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google