CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

New snake

Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 PM   #31
kayjaypah
We took Arrie out of his viv for the first time last night. He was very skiddish at first but calmed down after a few minutes. We didn't keep him out long. But when he went back in he went under the aspen and didn't resurface again until tonight. My husband took him out again and we both held him and put him back. This time he stayed out and is chilling and wondering the viv like he always does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #32
CornNut
That sounds like really good progress! Seems like Arrie is getting used to his new family! Well done :-)

Old 04-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #33
kayjaypah
Thank you CornNut

Old 05-01-2017, 06:40 AM   #34
DollysMom
Arrie sounds terrific. It sounds like you've made a great start with him.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #35
Reptile Lover 23
Congrats Kay,

Old 05-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #36
DLena
You're going to win his heart in no time at all!!!

Old 05-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #37
kayjaypah
Thanks everyone, I also ordered him one of those JW Hol-ee roller toys, it's shaped like a football and he can use it as a jungle gym. I will post pics when he starts using it!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #38
kayjaypah
A few more questions for the group. Is it normal for a young corn to be very stif and not friendly when being held? How long before he gets used to it and relaxes? Is it months? Or does it depend on the snake? I am concerned about Arrie and his behavior when we handle him.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:35 AM   #39
Reptile Lover 23
Well my young corn by young i mean 2 years old, hes very inquisitive and moves around alot and never strikes at me, i can gently put my finger ontop of his head and he dosnt mind,

But rexy my 8 year old corn thats another storey, if i did that with her i can garantee she would strike at me,

I guess it depends on the snake and how gentle you handly it

Hope this helps

Old 05-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #40
DollysMom
Yes it is typical that a youngster is less comfortable being held. I can't begin to describe the difference between a six week old and even a six-month-old. While it is true that they all have different personalities, you cannot predict that a little one will not calm down. Even an older individual that may have not been handled much, can certainly calm down with consistent gentle handling.

Little story here--

When I was considering adopting my Mandy, who has now been with me for just over a year, her description said she did not like being handled. In fact it may have been one of the reasons that she was not adopted for nearly 2 years. When I got her of course I went slowly and gave her a chance to settle in just like any new snake. Long story short she is very chill and relaxed now. She is handled just about every day that she is not in shed or not digesting.

No matter what, all younger corn snakes are more skittish than older corn snakes. My 21-month-old is just as chill now as my adopted adult by the way. It takes time to raise a youngster. The calmer, more confident and consistent you are, the better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google