CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Retirement........

Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #91
Caryl
In Hawaii it's a felony to go over 80. Transporting snakes is a serious offense there as well, I believe. Surely if you snuck a snake or two along on a high speed Hawaiian joy ride you could achieve some major jail time.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #92
slangenbroed
Good luck for you and connie, from Holland.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #93
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
In Hawaii it's a felony to go over 80. Transporting snakes is a serious offense there as well, I believe. Surely if you snuck a snake or two along on a high speed Hawaiian joy ride you could achieve some major jail time.
Well, I guess if I started in Kansas and accelerated all the way to California, I just MIGHT be able to make that jump to Hawaii if I'm going fast enough and built up enough inertia... Hope my aim is good, though...

Old 06-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #94
Tula_Montage
Rich, I noticed the hints here and there for the last few months so this came as no surprise, but it still saddens me deeply.

I have some wonderful Serpenco snakes sitting in this very room. The fact YOUR snakes have reached Scotland and so much further speaks volumes of the credibility of your company and your name.

I would love to contribute to your retirement fund, but without ordering hundreds of snakes, it just wouldn't be worth the cost for me to import.

Best of luck with whatever you do Rich.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #95
a_god_s
it's not the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
I may set up a map of the USA on a board and just throw a dart at it every month. Whever that dart hits, that's where we will take a drive to........ I just hope it doesn't land in the middle of Lake Michigan...
That would bring you right to me . We'll grab the boat and get ya out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Well, my ultimate game plan is that if in later years I find that we can't make it in retirement, to break some law to get us thrown in jail so the government can take care of us for free.

Certainly there MUST be a speed high enough that when arrested for it, it's an automatic jail sentence....
The government retirement plan is a good one but I hear the food sucks...
Besides, they might not let you and Connie share a cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
Jail in paradise? hmmmmm....... now that'll make ya think!

But seriously Rich and Connie, thanks for your contributions to my addiction.
I've wanted to have your bloodlines in my home for quite a while... though the economy isn't what we'd all like, perhaps I can find it in my budget to aid in your retirement fund.

May the sun not be in your eyes and the wind at your back!

Good luck with your future plans...btw..how do I get on Connie's mailing list! I like good FOOD!!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #96
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_god_s View Post
Good luck with your future plans...btw..how do I get on Connie's mailing list! I like good FOOD!!
Thank you....

You know you are golden when Connie offers to send you cookies. People will actually FIGHT over them.......... Her snickerdoodles are TOPS... (hmm, that actually sounds DIRTY when I read it....)

Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #97
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
Rich, I noticed the hints here and there for the last few months so this came as no surprise, but it still saddens me deeply.

I have some wonderful Serpenco snakes sitting in this very room. The fact YOUR snakes have reached Scotland and so much further speaks volumes of the credibility of your company and your name.

I would love to contribute to your retirement fund, but without ordering hundreds of snakes, it just wouldn't be worth the cost for me to import.

Best of luck with whatever you do Rich.
Thank you....

Actually ordering hundreds of snakes would be just GREAT! If I want to have all the animals gone by the end of the year, I have to average 250 snakes per WEEK to make that happen (counting the 5,000 babies due to hatch). Well I fell far short THIS week, so you all have to help me out the next several weeks.

I've had a few people inquiring about buying SerpenCo, but I'm not confident that is going to take place. Would sure be nice and could put us onto this road to retirement sooner, but I don't get those kinds of breaks. I'm thinking we're going to be going to the airport a LOT in the Fall and Winter months with large boxes of adults going out.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #98
Caryl
Aw, I was really hoping for the sake of the hobby that someone would be able to ante up. Yeah, I'm personally tickled to have an opportunity to add some Serpenco blood to my projects at these great prices, but dang!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #99
Rich Z
I'm going to talk to my accountant this week about some things, and one of them is about the tax pitfalls of selling my business. There is a checkbox on the form in the TurboTax program asking about whether I have completely sold the business in that taxing year that makes me nervous. So I want to see what sort of tax liability I may incur selling off the business completely. It may wind up being better for me to just piecemeal out everything and retain the name for taxing purposes for several more years.

But either way it goes, we'll just have to deal with it. In the end the result will be the same.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #100
wade
Rich, my understanding is that if you sell babies that would be considered ordinary income. When you sell your adult breeders however, that is considered capital gains and you don’t have to pay any FICA on that money, just income tax. If you have depreciated out all your equipment you don’t have to claim the income from the sell of the equipment unless you sell it for more than you paid for it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google