CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Brandname aspen vs. non-brandname aspen

Old 12-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Sarastro
Brandname aspen vs. non-brandname aspen

Hey everyone, I have another substrate questions that I hope someone will be able to answer. I have always used aspen bedding by "Zoo Med" for my snakes. This is the bedding that you buy specifically in the reptile section of a pet store. Since this type of bedding is kinda pricey, I was wondering if it is okay to use aspen substrate that is not specifically labelled for reptiles, i.e. the one that one would find in the mammal section of a pet store.
Does anyone know if there is a difference (besides price)?
Thanks for your help!

Old 12-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Dminor9
Aspen is Aspen. I do not see how someone putting " For Reptile Use " or any other "Specific" reference on the packaging makes the Aspen any better. I would say as long as it is Aspen and you can get it cheaper, by all means buy it!

Old 12-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
princess
It's like any product. If they can repackage it and say that it's made especially for a particular purpose, they can charge more. At the Body shop, a pair of cotton gloves to put on on top of moisturiser at night when you go to bed will cost you $15. Go to the pharmacy and buy a 10 pair pack for ½ that price because they're sold for people who have latex sensitivities to wear under lab gloves.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
Sarastro
Alright, thanks, guys! I just wanted to make sure my snakes get the best products possible!

Old 12-28-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
pcar
The only thing that you will want to consider is that each brand of Aspen has a different lever of Dust in it. The dustier the aspen is, the cheaper the squeeze pack is. I don't know how that gets figured, but that is what I have found. I have used 5 different types of aspen shavings and went back to L&M brand because it had the least amount of dust in it.

I know the dustier things are, the harder it is for me to breath, so I can just imagine what it could do to snakes or other reptiles.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Kvlt
whats L&M brand?
Also just curious how much do you guys pay per bag of aspen and what size?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google