CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

!!Feeding!!

Old 02-07-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
Mangrove
Cool !!Feeding!!

Well, today was the first time in 7 days I have fed my snake. My mother went out to the pet shop when I was in school and bought me a mouse... i mean like a mouse she said they didnt have any other fuzzys and didnt want to buy 2 pinkies. The mouse was more than 2 times the thickness of my corn. She got it struck and killed which made me feel worse because I though I killed a mouse for nothing, but like 30 min later she slowly started to choke it down, I was very impressed. I also have to add that she is close to sheding so her skin Is not a flexable now as it should be. I dont want to have to do that ever again but I mean it was pretty neat to see.
have you ever had this same problem with feeding a snake? I know it is smarter to feed it a size smaller and buy 2 but I mean I have to check on her tomorrow to see how she is.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
howiet4702
How big is your snake? Are you used to feeding fuzzies? Hopefully, the prey wasn't too big for her.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Mangrove
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiet4702
How big is your snake? Are you used to feeding fuzzies? Hopefully, the prey wasn't too big for her.

I have a 5-6 month old Albino Creamsicle corn, she is about 2 feet long and thickest point is aobut as thick as about a penny. I dont think the food is too beg, because a corns skin is alot more elastic like than the king and milk, but if it was in the wile and found a bird or lizard it will eat it no matter what, they are even know for eating nests of birds they come across, so i am not to scared. It was about 2 times as thick but I mean with the fur looks can be deciving.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
jazzgeek
[quote=Mangrove]I have a 5-6 month old Albino Creamsicle corn, she is about 2 feet long and thickest point is aobut as thick as about a penny. I dont think the food is too beg, because a corns skin is alot more elastic/QUOTE]

Not only that, but bear in mind that most adult mice can squeeze into tiny holes to escape, as small as half an inch, if I remember correctly.

Imagine a mouse "stretched out" so that the torso is thin as possible, then imagine the fur being matted down from being wet....

Add digestive juices, and stir occasionally. Voila! Snake nutrition.

regards,
jazz

Old 02-08-2005, 06:22 AM   #5
oldhand
Mangrove, my amel started eating small mice at around 22 inches (same problem no fuzzies), and he has since romped on and now eats a small mouse every 7 days ithout even having to think about it (yeah i know i need to upgrade him again).

Old 02-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
E. g. guttata
Not surprized that the snake ate the mouse. I have a friend who I got into corns (it's like a disease, I swear) and he was unsure about food size. He was feeding his little dudes 2 pinks every five days and still thought his snakes were too small for fuzzies. After I took time to explain to him (nice guy, but I needed to do this tree times) that his snakes were ready to eat fuzzies because they were already eating two pinks, he tried it and now he records every feeding with his video camera. He also accidently bought live fuzzies once (the pet shop he bought them from only carry live, but will freeze them if given notice at least a day in advance) and was surprised at how quickly his snakes struck and killed. My friend is so special .

Old 02-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #7
Mangrove
Cool

yes, I agree you E. g. guttata most of what snakes do is all instict and they learn very quickly what to do and what not to do.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #8
CAV
Here is the timeline I follow

I normally will have hatchling on fuzzies before they are 2 months old unless the snake is a problem feeder.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
howiet4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV
I normally will have hatchling on fuzzies before they are 2 months old unless the snake is a problem feeder.

Whoa..2 months? Are they peach fuzzies? I think I am behind the 8 ball here...

Old 02-08-2005, 04:38 PM   #10
Mangrove
Cool Feeding habbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV

I have had my corn on fuzzys for a good month to month and a half now, but I think she is getting bored with them, she dosnt even constrict them anymore instead she just tries to choke them down so now I have moved onto the largest fuzzys or smallets hoppers, because like you stated before if a snake crosses a meal in real nature it will not pass it up.