• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

corn infant care

~*eRiN*~

i am getting a baby corn and am housing it in a 10 gallon plastic habitat until it gets bigger which then i have another larger glass aquarium to put her in. I was wondering about heating in my small plastic aquarium. I was thinking of using a human heating pad for under the tank ( with a small space between the pad and the plastic) at a medium/high setting. Should the heating pad cover the entire bottom, or should i only place it on half of it? What temperature does the baby need? (27-32 degrees celcius i believe) I will have a store bought undertank heater for the larger tank. Could you please help me with some suggestions, thanx :)

By the way, if this helps you, i did an experiment, and with the heating pad, the temperature an inch from the bottom was a constant 80-82 degrees f.

The temperature should be around 84ºF when you lay the thermometer directly on the substrate over the heat pad.
Only have the heat pad under half the tank so the snake can go on the cooler side if it gets too hot on the warm side.

Do you have the Corn Snake Manual? It's by Bill and Kathy Love and it tells you just about everything you need to know about corns. You can order it from www.corn-utopia.com. The majority of the people on this forum have it and love it. Including me :)

Yes I've personally read the cornsnake manual... at least 5 times all the way through... what can you say Im a college student with nothing to do for the summer! but the CSM will help you in all the right ways its great for newbie to expert cornsnake keepers... I would highly highly recommend it!

thanx everyone! haha, it just so happens that my friend said i could have his 10 gallon glass aquarium untill my corn outgrows it! :) but thanx for the advice anyhow :)

Yeah, I found that a glass viv is very good for young corns because you can just put the heat mat under it and it is fine. Make sure that there is a small gap between the bottom of the tank and the mat as air needs to circulate. I use little sticky pads that I put at each corner of the viv to keep it a couple of mm off the mat.

Back