• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Culling 'side product' hatchlings

Culling hatchlings:

• is a responsible thing to do when they are deformed/weak and have no chance of a decent life

Votes: 155 74.5%
  • 1 + when they are 'side products' and end up in pet shops, overflowing the market

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • 1 + when hybrid hatchlings can be mistaken for pure, threatening the mass market with their genes

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • 1 + 2 + 3

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • is ok when..... (see my post)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • is never a good thing to do, even a deformed/week hatchling should only die by its defect

Votes: 13 6.3%

• Total voters
At least in that case they are getting used for something.
The ones I humanely cull and throw into the bushes or the river get used for something too. Something eats them. When one of my snakes refuses a mouse, the mouse often gets the ol' fling into the bushes treatment. I like snakes better than I like mice, but I don't pretend that they're somehow deserving of more respect in the larger scheme of things...

The ones I humanely cull and throw into the bushes or the river get used for something too. Something eats them. When one of my snakes refuses a mouse, the mouse often gets the ol' fling into the bushes treatment. I like snakes better than I like mice, but I don't pretend that they're somehow deserving of more respect in the larger scheme of things...

I'm not sure exactly WHAT is currently living in my bushes, but if I don't fling a leftover mouse in there once a week, the bushes growl at me. And they've grown into quite a large group of bushes... And there used to be a large pine tree next to them that isn't there anymore...

I'm not sure exactly WHAT is currently living in my bushes, but if I don't fling a leftover mouse in there once a week, the bushes growl at me. And they've grown into quite a large group of bushes... And there used to be a large pine tree next to them that isn't there anymore...
That's an appropriately spooky Halloween story-- especially the part about the disappearing pine tree! :eek:

...Nobody has to defend themselves even if they breed their cornsnakes for meat and leather, IMO. But I would expect that if they want to put up a thread here describing it, it would probably be a lively one....
This is true. But there is a HUGE difference, IMO, between discussing options, and challenging opinions. At first this topic was all about discussion. People were stating their opinions, discussing the reason and motives behind those opinions, and providing their personal options. But it soon became a matter of challenge vs. discussion, and that is where a problem evolves. The mere act of challenging someone to provide a reason "that fits my criteria" assumes condescension towards different criteria, superiority because of criteria, and an arrogance that states, "My way is right and your's is wrong". THAT is what I have a problem with...the arrogance that is implied in asking to be judge based on personal criteria.

This discussion can be just as long, just as lively, and just as interesting to read, without ever challenging anyone else's ideals or opinions. There is nothing wrong with saying, "What motivates you to perform that action?". There is nothing wrong with saying, "I don't agree with your choice because...". There is nothing wrong with saying " I wouldn't perform that action because it doesn't fit my criteria."

There IS something wrong with repeatedly saying, "You should have done it this way, because then it would fit my criteria." There IS something wrong with saying, "This action is morally acceptable if it meets this criteria, but unacceptable if it fits THAT criteria". And when you add the extreme amount of repetition that the above statements have seen in this topic, it only becomes more and more arrogant with each successive statement. And the more it gets said, the more challenging it becomes. The more challenging it becomes, the less it becomes a debate, and becomes an action of proving someone else wrong...which cannot happen in a matter that is purely personal and opinion.

...When you say "anyone who does participate" do you mean in culling or in the thread?...
I mean in the action, not the thread.

...I think if the conversation is about views on culling, and you join in and offer your views, you can expect to have them challenged. If anyone isn't ready to "defend the manner in which they do it" they aren't ready for the debate...
Only to a certain point. It is human nature to defend oneself from attack, whether it be physical or verbal attack. When a person's opinion is continually challenged, it is only natural to defend that opinion as a matter of personal choice...which ALL opinions are. In this topic, it quickly became a matter of every different opinion being challenged in the same matter, rather than discussed openly. It would have been very easy for some people to simply have said, "OK...I disagree because..." and left it at that. But that didn't happen.

What DID happen is "people" kept saying, "Why don't you do it this way?" or "If you do it this way, it is acceptable, but not in the manner which you did it." Of course people are going to feel the need to defend their choices. This is a community above simply an informational forum. I enjoy feeling as though I am a part of this community, in a respected and respectful manner. I don't enjoy feeling as though I am being challenged in a negative light for personal opinions. If I DO feel negatively challenged...I am going to defend myself form that negativity. And when the challenge becomes repetitive, condescending, and even irrelevant in the use of examples...it becomes even more frustrating as the person being challeneged. When my action of culling a snake for whatever reason is compared to terrorism...that simply isn't fair. And to then further be told, "No, I don't think YOU are a terrorist...I just think the action is 'terrorist-like'."...well...IMO...that's a copout. It is a way to judge a person publicly, but cover yourself, because "I'm not judging you, I'm judging your actions". That's a quintessential cop-out, IMO.

I can sit here all day and say, "You shouldn't breed normal cornsnakes. It floods the market, creates a disposable pet syndrome, lowers market value for 'real' cornsnake morphs, and basically ruins the chances for the rest of us to make some money. If you want to breed, you should only breed high-end morphs. And it is my opinion that anyone who breeds normals is simply money-grubbing and greedy, trying to breed and sell as many snakes as possible just to make a greedy dollar." That is a VERY arrogant, self-centered, judgemental, and argumentative statement to make. I imagine that people like Kathy Love would feel very hurt by such a statement, and would probably try to defend their actions. If I then say, "I'm not judging you, only the action of breeding normals."...does that really make a difference? Is there really a seperation between my judgement of the action and my judgement of the person performing the action? I have still made a blanket negative statement about anyone performing that action. The action itself won't feel offended...but every person that performs action is well within their rights to take offense to that statement, and to defend themselves FROM such a statement.

To further the argument...everytime someone DOES defend their motives and reasons, I come in and say, "But your reason for breeding normals is not consistent with my criteria for breeding cornsnakes. Therefor, you should not breed normals, unless you can do it within my range of criteria." Does the arrogance of that statement come through? Ultimately...THAT is the arrogance I have detected in several posts by a few select members.

I have no right to challenge someone else in the manners that I have described above, and I don't imagine that any member of this forum would disagree with this. But it is exactly the same manner in which opinions and choices have been challenged in this topic, of late. I DO have the right TO that opinion, and to state that opinion, if, in fact, that is my opinion. But I do NOT have a right to tell anyone else that they are wrong because their opinion is different than mine, nor do I have the right to outline for anyone else specific criteria that makes their actions morally acceptable or not. Breeding normals is breeding normals. If they are acceptable as first-time pets or as by-products of gene combinations, they should be acceptable for any reason I decide to breed them. Just like culling of healthy snakes should be. My motivation should not be held to someone else's standards, and I should not be made to feel as though there is something "wrong" with the choice I make because my motives are different than yours. There is an unspoken accusation that follows with such challenges, and it is this accusatory nature of the challenge that I have a problem with. If you intend to publicly accuse me of wrongdoing, there better be something more than your personal opinion to back up that accusation.:smash: ;)

Does that make sense?

Ultimately...I have no desire to cull anything other than unhealthy animals. My opinion is, ultimately, the same as the majority of the members of this forum. I chose option 1 in the poll. But I will not deny anyone else the right to make that choice for themselves, and I will not tell them that they are worng because their reasons are different than mine. I *may* tell them I don't agree with it, but I won't incessantly challenge them to provide me with reasons that I, personally, deem acceptable, and tell them their actions are unacceptable if they cannot do this. I won't accuse someone of wrongdoing based purely on a matter of personal choice and opinion...

Discussions would be a lot better if they were done without being judgemental; but, some people find it hard not to be judgemental. Maybe those people spent more time in their lives having to either justify their opinions or conform their opinions to those around them that they have become the same way.

Me, personally, whatever works as long as it doesn't harm the snakes and it's done humanely. To me, if a hatchling is healthy but not saleable I would keep it, maybe breed once to see if the problem is genetic - if genetic then no more breeding and the defective hatchlings would get feed to Susan's bush or Queenie. A definate non-viable hatchling would get feed to Queenie without a second thought.

"But your reason for breeding normals is not consistent with my criteria for breeding cornsnakes. Therefor, you should not breed normals, unless you can do it within my range of criteria." Does the arrogance of that statement come through? Ultimately...THAT is the arrogance I have detected in several posts by a few select members."

I feel addressed in this statement, so I feel the need to state that I never ever in this thread told people that they should do anything according to my criteria, nor did I ever say people have not the right to have their own opinion. I do not feel that way either, so please stop reading between lines or detect things that are not there, you do not have to do that since I do state what I think/feel honestly without leaving things out, that's a form of integrity I stick to. What I say is what I think and vice versa.

I have been told that I do not have the right to challenge peoples opinions though... now isn't that arrogant? If I feel like challenging someones opinions I do so, since that person has the right to not react to it. It's a free world... Ask Tom e :p

I have only told what my opinion is on the subject and tried to grasp how other peoples logic works. Of course, I know that my way of debating could be described as 'charging' , but hey that's my style, it's direct and to the point. I you cannot or do not feel like handling that, don't respond... I am willing to be 'charged' as heavily though, that's the fun of it.

Tyflier, I do understand better why you feel 'cornered' because you tell you have problems seperating actions from the person when talking about motives and stuff. Of course if the subject at hand would be much more heavy (like terrorist actions LOL) I would agree that any terrorist is a bad person for what they do, that is far beyond judging an action alone. It would be another good discussion to discuss when an action becomes so bad that the person becomes bad too LOL But to be clear; I never said culling hatchlings for any reason is a terrorist like action, that's not what using metafores is about. But you know that.

Blutengel-

I specifically and purposefully did NOT mention any names or make any specific referances, to you or any of the other members that I felt were "challenging" in this topic. The only time I specifically referred to you was when I was specifically talking to you. I have not "read between the lines" on anyone's posts in particular...I HAVE gotten specific feelings from several posters in the topic...feelings which I neither liked nor appreciated. Believe me when I say...this is not personal.

You are NOT the only person that has made me feel this way in this topic...there are several. Nothing in the previous posts was directed specifically at anyone person...only at the general feeling of several individual replies. I never intended to "call you out", and I never intended to misrepresent your words with false "quotes". I only tried to make relevant and pertinent examples to the feeling of many different replies I read throughout the topic. I was hoping to draw attention to the feeling that these types of replies leave, not the words specifically used, nor any person in particular. I apologize if you felt "attacked" in my above responses.

I also haven't now or in the past meant to imply that you haven't a right to YOUR opinion, nor your manner of debate. It DOES feel "strong", IMO, and is more passionate and personal than my style of debate. Such is life. I try not to take things personally, though I don't always succeed at that. I again apologize if you feel that my above responses were directed towards you, or your manner of debate.

I have purposefully tried NOT to publicly name anyone specific in my recent responses. However, I cannot help it if anyone reads my generalized responses and feels that they "touch close to home" with a few specific individuals. I haven't done it on purpose, but I cannot prevent people from drawing their own conclusions based on the words they have read in the topic, and the words I have typed in response. There was, as honestly as I can be, several different specific posts and people that I had in mind when I typed those responses. I won't go through the topic and quote the replies that I was thinking about, because again...I don't want to call anyone out, and start a personal war here.

I honestly do not hold anything against you nor anyone else for the feelings they have expressed here, whether I agree or not. This is a very personal and very opinion based topic. It is very difficult for responses NOT to be taken personally, given that personal is the very nature of the topic. Again...I apologize if you feel(or felt) as though I was personally addressing you, your words, or your posting style. It was honestly not my intention.

This is late so I Hope im not repeating
But what if we didn't call it culling hatchlings lets change it to breeding feeders for Kings
then it wouldn't be any different then the pinks you feed your corns unless your saying the Right To Life quotes dont apply to Mice only Snakes and Puppies

I can't speak for any other city but in my town of 300,000+ people I am always amazed when people look at the corn snakes in the pet store and the ones that have never seen corns before almost always pick the classic/normal baby. Something like 4/5 first time snake owners. Of course I ask why that is their choice and usually it is due to the varied tones and rich colours. I haven't gotten a normal yet (out of 6 corns) but I am keeping my eye out now...

This is late so I Hope im not repeating
But what if we didn't call it culling hatchlings lets change it to breeding feeders for Kings
then it wouldn't be any different then the pinks you feed your corns unless your saying the Right To Life quotes dont apply to Mice only Snakes and Puppies

I can't speak for any other city but in my town of 300,000+ people I am always amazed when people look at the corn snakes in the pet store and the ones that have never seen corns before almost always pick the classic/normal baby. Something like 4/5 first time snake owners. Of course I ask why that is their choice and usually it is due to the varied tones and rich colours. I haven't gotten a normal yet (out of 6 corns) but I am keeping my eye out now...

Did either of you actually read the 39 pages of replies that went into this topic? A very interesting topic to be sure. Informative, intellectual, and full of good debate that causes one to think and re-think their opinions of the subject.

I think you could both benefit from going back to the beginning and seeing where it came from and how it progressed...

Back