• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Am i hearing things!?

~*eRiN*~

I was just wondering, how do snakes cope with music. I was planning on putting my future corn snake in my bedroom, when i realized about my music. I like to listen to my music loud when i retreat into my room, i was wondering if this would really bother, or do damage to the snake? I don't know if the actual sound or the vibrations would dive it crazy or hurt it or both!?

As far as I'm aware snakes are deaf, although I don't know if that relates to all species of snake.

Although the vibrations from loud bass could disturb them.

I'm with Axe on this one, snakes have no ears but they do feel vibrations so the bass would probably cause some stress

Rainey

That said, bearded dragons love rockin' out to Guns N' Roses, Faith No More & Steve Vai... Soon as I whack it on they're chillin' to the beats under the heatlamps... so who knows? ;)

I still wouldn't though.

I know it may sound cruel to try an "experiment" like this, but just have your snake around and put some music on low, slowly turn the volume up and up and see how he reacts. If he starts to freak out, then turn the music off, and don't play it that loud again (that is not to say you should always play it at just below the snake's tolerance level every time, but at a level well under the bass & vibrations your snake can handle).

Just like all animals, and all individual people, snakes have their own preferences and personalities. Some may be perfectly tolerant and happy, although I bet most probably won't :)

But even though snakes have no ears, all things are attuned to a certain... frequency. Certain noises, whether they can be heard or not, can cause people to freak out. So, I would assume snakes can also be disturbed by the feeling of certain sounds - even if they can't hear the sound the way we do.

Last edited:
Chances are, if you tried that experiment, you wouldn't actually know when you'd gotten to the point that your snakes would be stressed. Corns rarely visibly "freak out" - it's unlikely that they'd start writhing around or hissing or doing anything that truly stands out. Try thinking about the bass like it's causing a small earthquake (from your snake's point of view). If your home started to vibrate and shake, and you had no idea why, at what point would you start to get nervous and stressed?

My Corns always act laid back, but if I play one particular music track with a really heavy bassline, my Sinaloans throw themselves around their vivs like their being prodded with hot pokers. I now listen to that one on headphones !

If I'm doing something like hoovering or have the washing machine on in the next room, the Corns move about a bit more than usual but don't seem to be distressed.

Cheers
Kel

I've got two DCM 12's with built in subs and a pioneer receiver, RCA 5 disc cd player.. trust me, when i play my music my snake freaks. I have his cage in the hallway outside of my room but even if the base is to loud, i can hear vibratations coming from his cage. The base gets inside and bounces off the walks of the plexi glass,lol.. But truss me, snakes do not like tha vibrations, it scares them.

My snakes just lay there in their hides,

Unless I'm playing Frank Zappa's "Baby Snakes." Then they're all out and jammin' hard to the tune.:cool:

I have my speakers next to the snakes, and i play my music loud.... i think they are used to it now, couse they don't react to it what so ever!

The general feeling seems to be that different Corns react in different ways. Try playing some of your fave music and if it causes trouble, invest in some headphones.

Cheers
Kel

I have my corn, Cleo, in the livingroom where she is included as part of the family. My husband is mostly deaf, so everything in the house is loud so that he can hear it too. Normally the t.v. is cranked right up, and Cleo does not react to it. He,( my hubby), also has the t.v. hooked to the stereo system with the suround sound system, and that is always loud too. Cleo has no problem with it. She is prob used to the vibrations from the bass tho. So I think that if the snake is used to the loud music, like Cleo is, then it shouldn't be a problem. But you should get your snake used to it slowely as well. We started out with her in the Kitchen so that she could get used to it. Try that. Start your snake out on the other side of the house, and move her slowely over to your room. That way she/he has a chance to get used to it by the time it is in the room you want it in. Just a suggestion tho. :)

Back