CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Breeding weight question

Old 10-31-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
Aehill
Breeding weight question

I'm hoping to breed this season for my first time ever. I have a female palmetto and a male classic 100% het palmetto. My female is 3 years old and currently at 323 grams. Is that a good weight for a first-time breeding female? I've read that the bare minimum weight for a female is 300 grams, but I was wondering if there's a more desirable weight I should be aiming for. Any advice/insight on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
67temp
Personally I don't think it is solely about weight. The overall condition and health is more important. Case in point is I have 2 adults that weigh within 20g's of each other. The one that weighs more is in better condition and health. The one that weighs less came in as morbidly obese and looks like a ball python.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
Aehill
Thank you for your response. They're both very healthy, have great shape and muscle tone. It'll be a first attempt at breeding for both. I've followed a fairly conservative feeding schedule since they were babies. She's just grown like a weed even with me slowing her feedings down at times to try to manage weight gain. But now that we're in the few months before breeding season, I'm trying to ascertain whether or not I should try to put a little more weight on my female. Not a power-feed or anything... Just wondering if I should increase her feeding by a few days to gradually put on a bit more weight before breeding, or is 323 grams enough weight to not be concerned with it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google