CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Aspen Snake Bedding

Old 10-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
azeil
Aspen Snake Bedding

I may never know if the crickets were the problem or if it was the Aspen Snake Bedding that caused the most harm to my baby corn. When I took it back to the petstore they noticed that a piece of the bedding was caught in its mouth. This may have caused him to choke or suffocate. There were crickets in its belly too. The store did give me another corn as they said it was their store policy (Pet Co) to reccomend the Aspen Snake Bedding. The manager next sold me "Naturebark" made by Four Paws as a substrate. He also said to stick to the pinkies. Yes, the last baby corn actually took a bite out of the last pinkie head.... maybe a quarter inch bite. Thanks to all of you who expressed sympathy and offered encouragement. My seven year old friend wants to try again, so we will.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
DAND
Aspen is good for bedding but you should never feed the snake on or in the Aspen. A seperate container should be used.

NOTE: Crickets are NOT corn snake food.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
azeil
The pet store fellow told me it was fine to put the crickets in the cage. When i questioned him about overeating he said no the snake would not over eat. He sounded so knowledgable!

Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
gwb8568
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeil
The pet store fellow told me it was fine to put the crickets in the cage. When i questioned him about overeating he said no the snake would not over eat. He sounded so knowledgable!

not to sound pissy............but 8000+ members on the top cornsnake site in the universe know more than a pet store employee. it is great that they replaced it but please do 2 things:

1. DO NOT feed crickets........stay with appropriatley sized rodents.
2. DO NOT feed in the housing container if using aspen. buy a smaller sized tupperware dish with holes and a lid to feed in.

please post pics and keep us updated on the progress. glad everything worked out.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
simple_minded
Cornsnakes WILL overeat! Sometimes snakes will regurgitate if fed too much or prey that are too big, and this is very bad for the health of your pet. Also, unregulated, adult corns will become obese if fed too much.

And aspen is a good bedding, so's naturebark, but aspen is a lot cheaper. But no matter what bedding you use make sure you always feed your corn in a separate empty container.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #6
cncslick
i used to use the small shavings Aspen and my snake would sometimes get them stuck in his mouth. and i never even feed him in his tank. i would say just use the bigger shavings Aspen and not feed him in his tank. i just switched to using paper its just alot easier.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google