CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DYI Hides.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #31
schnebbles
I know! I got my vivs and have to finish getting everything together to move the snakes. I thought they turned out pretty realistic looking. Can't get much cheaper than that and I still have paint left for if I make more. I need to make some larger ones, I need some wire mesh to be able to form them though.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #32
niki_g
Those look great! What are you using to seal them up?

Old 11-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #33
Jasonx
welp, what i do, is i get two paper bowls, one upright, and the other on top of it but upside down, so it makes like a cave, OFFTOPIC i use them for my bps OFFTOPIC OVER ok well, for my new corn thts coming this morning, im using the tp rolls, but its a really long "sheet" of it, but i think im going to go to the dollar tree and get some bowls for both of my snakes, and just cut a hole in each of them, they're simple, and cheap, and also add spunk to the viv.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #34
Christen
Most of my snakes have bowls for hides and they LOVE them more than the other hides.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #35
schnebbles
Quote:
Those look great! What are you using to seal them up?
I used Tree House Studio Clear Acrylic Matte Coating - got it at Hobby Lobby for $6. I put 3-4 coats on at least.

So I get them all in the new vivs and guess what? the snakes don't use them! They like to burrow in the aspen or hide in the grapevine wood or under it. Oh well!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #36
Hexadeci
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnebbles View Post
I used Tree House Studio Clear Acrylic Matte Coating - got it at Hobby Lobby for $6. I put 3-4 coats on at least.

So I get them all in the new vivs and guess what? the snakes don't use them! They like to burrow in the aspen or hide in the grapevine wood or under it. Oh well!
Of course :P . Well, maybe they are just taking a while to get brave enough to try them? My hatchling spent about a day being indecisive about the silk tree he now spends most of his time in.

I'm thinking of ways to string up some cardboard tubes or something, so Sherlock can have more high places to hide in. Maybe seal them with that or a similar coating and/or paint them to look less ...thrifty, is a good word for it.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #37
schnebbles
They love the vines! I have gone to take the vine out looking for the snake and I find the snake in the vines. I ordered some grapevine wood climbing things and they were all different of course, and I strung the vines up as high as I could, some of the grapevines just aren't tall enough.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #38
leftycrane
is the paint or the great stuff toxic to the snakes? never used it but interested in your ideas!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #39
schnebbles
The paint is the 2oz little bottles of acrylic from the hobby store, and I aired out the hides for over a week, probably closer to 2 before I put them in the vivs. They are using them now.

You could use Mod-podge to seal but it's not waterproof. The stuff I used is acrylic.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #40
schnebbles
As well as I like these hides, I might use the Greatstuff - working on painting one right now.

The crayola air dry breaks very easily. I picked one up last night and I was kind of holding it up to get the snake out and it just broke! Fortunately it didn't land on the snake, I had her already but they seem very fragile. I will handle with care from now on!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google