• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

unusual themes/ideas?

Here are two pictures of my viv. I have cut a black shower curtain for my background which is around the back outside of the viv. I also have black aspen bedding. You may see a bit of purple(I had calci sand in the beginning but switched to aspen) I left the sand so I can regulate the UTH temps better. As they grow larger I am going to have to get a wider tank for them. This one I had for my Veiled chameleon Vessili RIP. They are both roughly 6 months old.

Left Side with water dish
picture.php

Right Side with mountain hide
picture.php

I want to do an electronic futuristic themed one... maybe put some old hard drives and circuit boards in there...

I'm still brainstorming, but I think it would be neat.

You've probably already considered this, but there are some very sharp places on circuit boards and I would also be concerned about the effect of the humidity on the metal. I'm not sure if the metals are harmful, especially if they are oxidizing or corroding and chemicals leech off.

Maybe there would be a way to seal them against humidity.

Put a piece of plexi in front of any circut boards for a background, then use a gutted computer or something with silicone caulk on any sharp areas for a hide. Or get EL wire and LEDs and glue a car with wings up the side of the tank for futuristic.

You could probably seal the circuit boards and parts with a thick layer of marine epoxy. It would smoothen the sharp edges and make the bits 100% waterproof.

Constellations would be an interesting theme. Serpens, the snake constellations, are particularly awesome. Apparently it's the only constellation that is distinctly 2 parts (head and tail), separated by Ophiuchus (the handler), complete with the star Unukalhai (serpens' heart).

In the process of trying to find images of the serpens constellation, I came across this flower, which I really wish existed in the silk variety: Agapetes Serpens . (If anyone finds such, please do let me know). Small red trumpet shaped flowers would work really well along the top/back of a viv or underside of decorative bridges. Alas.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://strangewonderfulthings.com/Agaptes_serpens_2261.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/122.htm&h=606&w=700&sz=103&tbnid=Q3W1dJiMSKcnKM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=110&zoom=1&usg=__oOfwVeGdIXG00xW_T6SlGszn8M4=&docid=Eqct04vygBg1nM&sa=X&ei=GVkOUL71FciKiAL-9djLCQ&ved=0CGMQ9QEwAg&dur=2496

These are awesome ideas. We've only had our little girl for 3 weeks, so her viv is pretty bland. Since my son is crazy about dinosaurs, I'm thinking of doing a prehistoric theme....still brain storming ideas though.

I've seen a few people posting wallpaper images for a background.. is there a site where you can order pictures put to the size and shape of the viv?

My wife has about 14 different designs made up that we plan on building ranging from haunted house/horror movie set all the way to outer space and other crazy ideas. I'm really excited to get started on them.

I'm doing a Godzilla theme for Shelby's new tank complete with buildings/rubble and a toy Godzilla for her to climb on.

Wow guys! these sound so cool! Gotta have pictures when your done.. I don't know what to call it for a theme but I'm building a waterfall area and kinda jungle/foresty theme for my king.

I've been thinking on this topic for some time. I've about got my overall enclosure design figured out, but have yet to start building. I build with grout-covered styrofoam, and it looks pretty cool. Here are some decor themes I came up with:
Dinosaur fossils/bones sticking out of rock outcrop
Inside of a barn: bucket, ropes, straw, tack items
Gnome or Hobbit home under a hill or split tree trunk
Glow-in-the-dark fantasy forest, Avatar inspired
H.R. Giger inspired - think Alien - organic/mechanical mixed bizzare stuff
Huge rotted log with mushrooms, shelf fungi, ferns, and lots of hides
Garden setting, watering can, old shoe, hand tools, flower pots, seed labels
Haunted forest - twisted trees, rock outcrops, all dark and eerie
Native cliff dwelling - pottery, log ladders, kivas, heiroglyphs
Cave interior - stalactites, stalagmites, cave paintings, lots of side tunnels, could add lava or big crystals/gemstones
Mayan ruin - pyramid steps, broken carvings Mayan style, jungle vines
Tropical rain forest - ficus vines/roots engulfing old ruins, gnarled jungle
Desert - sandstone outcrops, cactus/succulent, cow skull, old whiskey bottle, spurs or horseshoe, broken wagon wheel.
Prairie - lots of grasses, prairie dog hole-hide, small medicine bottle or something settlers might have discarded.
Southern junk yard - car parts, license plates, weeds, old boards, chain-link
Swamp - buttressed roots, hanging Spanish moss, little cabin on stilts, implied water

Any way, I've been thinking a lot...

A Hobbit theme would be amazing.
Maybe the maps of Middle Earth as a background? Or perhaps you could mix in some colored aspen with regular, and it could look like jewels. And, even though your snake isn't greedy, wicked worm, he could be Smaug and the cage would be like the Lonely Mountain.
I've gone too far.

I'm hoping to redo the trim of my cage with old tin ceiling tiles cut to size. And the edges will be softened in case any attempts to escape happen.

I did post this a while ago. I am in the process of building a dragon's hoard for him. However I am still looking for clever ways to keep improving it. for example: I still cannot find a princess! I need one for the tower.

I am open to suggestions if someone has any!

Beautiful, this is like the most perfect terrarium ive ever seen (it even has a snow corn :cheers: )

When my beardy was little he lived in a castle, that was until he started to eat it... lol I need to re grout it thicker so he can't eat it or rebuild it.
006-10.jpg

I built a background for my Tokay's
037-1.jpg

I really need to make something for the Leo and snakes!

Hey, im sorry to ask but where did you got that beautiful wall background?, im doing a medival times for my future snake Rumplestiltskin and im looking for something like that

These all sound like great ideas. You guys should post pictures when you get them put together! I'm still thinking about how I want to decorate my snake's cage. However going off of the outer space, maybe a moon landing, or mars landing scene with a lunar lander and astronauts stepping off. In the same vein as the medieval scene, maybe in this case the snake could be an alien.

Back