CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Who Knew? Getting my craft on!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #21
Floof
I'm SO glad you posted this! I came across this thread earlier this week.. I remember when it was posted on iHerp awhile back, but never got to try it. SO, tonight I loaded up on salt and got to baking! Still have to pick up the waterproofing spray (Home Depot doesn't carry it... Bah... So I have to wait til Ace opens tomorrow!), but that's ok... Just step 1 can keep you busy for awhile!

So, for mine, I'm doing a couple sizes. I'm using a muffin pan and an 8x8 cake pan for my molds. The lip on the 8x8 pan is kind of weird, and I didn't want to risk having the bottom all weird and uneven (or, worse, it getting stuck to the pan!), so I decided to try something new: Put the dough INSIDE instead of outside! It was a bit more work getting it off (probably didn't grease it enough), but so far it looks like it works great!

Below are pics of my first 3 muffin tin hides (pre-baking) and the 8x8 (post-bake). I'll get more pics tomorrow as I get them painted!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
NewCornGirl
Thumbs up

Those hides are just too cool!! Thanks for sharing! This gives me some ideas!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #23
EmbersMom
Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing your pics!!

Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #24
Karoni
Wow. Pretty nifty!!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #25
schnebbles
I did some a while back except I used Crayola Clay and they break really easy. I used the tiny bottles of acrylic paint and used several colors blended on them. Super cheap! The bottles of acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby were like .69 each.

I almost used that sand paint, they do look nice.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #26
Floof
Kathy, that's a cool idea. I'm thinking about doing more "colorful" and less "naturalistic" ones next--will have to see what acrylics catch my eye next time I'm at the craft store.

Anyway, here's mine! Most the little ones I made (the muffin tin ones) ended up being too big for my needs (wee hatchling tubs!)... Oops! Oh well--they're just right for my yearling, and I'm Craigslisting the extra 6 to pay for more hide-making supplies.

The 8x8" one is going to be for my yearling boa (still a little-ish guy), just waiting for it to finish airing out.

And I'm not done yet-- I have a loaf pan sized one and about 15 or 16 even littler hatchling-sized ones in the works, and plans to make more. Between my older snakes and the roommate's corns and gecko... Well, let's just say I'm going to be VERY busy over the next week.
I'm even trying to devise a way to make one for under my beardie's basking spot, just need to find a big enough mold and find out whether it's safe to put slate tile in the oven... Hmmm!

Old 07-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Floof
Ok. DO NOT skimp on the sealant! Atlas christened his hide last night, so by the time I woke up today, it had been soaking in pee for a few hours or so. Apparently I didn't seal the bottom edge well enough so now it's all gooey. Hopefully it will dry out ok and can be salvaged, but the point is, absolutely make sure every inch is covered. The rest of the seal looks good on mine, it's just that bottom edge...

Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #28
RobbiesCornField
Ooh! How did I miss this before! Off to Wallyworld tonight!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #29
Stygian Faerie
Those are amazing! I really hope I can find all the supplies in the UK. That instant stone stuff looks like so much fun!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #30
Weda737
Awesome, I've thought about using sculptey clay to make some small hides.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google