CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Wannabe Thief

Old 06-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #31
kc261
Black rats are awesome. My favorite morph is the white-sided ones, but the wild type is gorgeous too.

I once caught a big black rat right in our neighborhood. He did bite me at the moment I grabbed him, leaving a little scratch that barely bled, but after that first moment he was totally mild mannered. I kept him for maybe half an hour, mostly showing him off to the kids, then let him go. It wasn't too long after that that the wooded space about a block away was destroyed in order to put in a church. I never saw another snake in our neighborhood after that (I've previously seen several of at least 3 different species...just the black rat was the only one I was able to get my hands on) and it made me so sad to think they had probably all died when their habitat was destroyed, and I kind of wished I'd kept the one I caught.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #32
steve roylance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aozora View Post
Hi Steve,

Is that a leucistic black rat snake in the last picture, and if so are you offering any for sale? I would love to get me a pretty little lucy black rat snake. Seeing all these awesome wild snakes has just strengthened my desire to have a tame one.
Yep, it's a Black Rat Leucy
I will have some available around Dec or Jan.
Thanks!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #33
DuxorW
Everyone keeps catching these mild mannered black rats, but all I can remember is them biting the living daylights out of me when I was catching them as a kid. There must be a particularly hateful population in the mountains of northeast Georgia!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:49 AM   #34
Nanci
I remember catching on while mountain biking in NC, and riding to catch up with my friends with the snake clinging around my neck! He was completely unphased, met everyone, then was ridden back to his place and released. I just love them.

This is my favorite thread! I hope you start marking them and documenting their visits!!

Old 06-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #35
Aozora
Well, guess who we found today?

Thief #1, back for the third time. He's currently cooling his jets in the spare cage. Thankfully no biting this time.

We'd just been commenting on how we haven't seen any black rat snakes lately. Looks like they've started showing back up.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #36
Nanci
I wonder what happens when you don't have chicks any more...

Old 06-28-2014, 04:38 PM   #37
Aozora
We'll have quail out there until the end of September, so black rat snakes may be going into brumation at that point. We'll have to see what happens.

The quail are laying eggs now, so that may be drawing them in even more.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #38
cornsnakegirl
This saga is facinating! Do keep us updated!

Old 07-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #39
Aozora
Bad news... My mom is taking care of the critters while I'm on vacation in New Orleans, and she told me that a big BRS, possibly Thief #2, managed to break into a cage and ate one of my hens. She released the snake, thankfully, and fixed where he broke in.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #40
Nythain
Silly BRS, doesn't it know it's supposed to be an excellent ESCAPE artist, not break-in artist! Sorry about the hen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google