• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Recommend a base?

albertagirl

Sharan
These are the exact cages I'm getting, only mine will be white. The sides are clear acrylic too, so they'll let in more light. I can't wait, they're gonna be awesome! I didn't get a base for them because of cost. A matching base would have cost as much as another cage. But I do want to get them off the ground to keep them out of drafts every time I open the door to let the dogs in and out, out of reach of my little dog who likes to pee on things (I know, I know, actual housebreaking is another option!), and so that they are not totally stressed out every time a dog walks by.

Can anyone comment on whether that does actually stress them out, or whether they just get used to it, like they get used to us handling them? Maybe I don't really need to worry about that one.

They are 3'x2'x14", and there will be 4 of them, so I'm thinking a base should be between 14 and 20 inches. It can be wood, metal, plastic, whatever, but preferably not TOO ugly. I'm not particularly handy, so DIY would have to be SUPER simple, but I'm looking for ideas other than something I'd have to build. They are about 20 lbs each... I'm thinking maybe a coffee table might do the trick and not be too expensive?

ANY and ALL ideas welcome!! Pictures of what you use also helpful. Thanks!!!!!

Incidentally, these are available out of Calgary, for anyone who's interested. http://cornelsworld.com/?product=custom-3x2x14-tall-pvc-cage-with-acrylic-sidewalls

smaller cages.jpg

Oh sweet Jesus those look so awesome- This scares me, though, as I fear if I love my first snake as much as I think I will, I might have a picture like yours someday lol!
If I see of and/or hear of anything, I'll let you know- I can't wait to see your photos of them all set up!

Yeah they're over the top, BUT they are totally worth it! It will save SO much space in my little condo, and will last the lifetime of my snakes... and probably then some, with a little care. And of course they will look nice, and maybe then people will stop calling me the crazy snake lady. For heaven sake, I only have 4! ... So far! LOL

Just as a warning, Zeina, I finally decided to bite the bullet and get A snake in June of this year... and I now have 4. There are just too many amazing morphs to choose just one!!! And that seems to be the norm around here, you can't just have one!

Lol I have SO notice the "Pringles" theme around here- Once you pop, you can't stop!
I actually really like that set up- Those tanks look badass.

How exactly are they heated??

If you've ever had any other pets, the first thing you'll notice is how much easier snakes are. It takes less time looking after all 4 of mine than any one of my dogs, that's for sure.
The viv's are heated with heat tape, all 4 on one thermostat.

I am jealous! Those are great.

Look at Goodwill, yard sales or thrift shops for a low table that would work. Depending on what it is made of you can paint it or buy some fabric to cover it if you want. Look at big box home stores for cheap cabinets, then you will have a place below to store stuff. The cabinet can have a cheap piece of plywood for the top, with the tanks on that. Again, easily camouflaged with paint or fabric.

Those are awesome. I was looking at those ones. Did you get the LED lights installed in them? Or any of the other options? They are awesome and I think cabinets are an awesome idea!

Those are awesome. I was looking at those ones. Did you get the LED lights installed in them? Or any of the other options? They are awesome and I think cabinets are an awesome idea!

Thanks! I got clear sides put in instead of solid, to let in more light and avoid the need for any kind of bulbs. I originally only wanted the top half of the sides to be clear, so the snakes would still feel like they had privacy, but that would have costed a lot more. I can always cover the bottom half in a decorative way if I feel they are too exposed. I do have stick on, battery operated LED lights that I will put in there for times when I need it brighter, but I don't know how often they'll get used. They were like $3 apiece from Ikea.

I also got 14" height instead of 12" so the litter dam is a little higher, and I can use more substrate if I choose.

I'm not sure if either of those option is on the website, the new website went up about 6 weeks after I ordered them, but I went and saw him in person, so he suggested them after hearing what I was looking for.

1 cages.jpg

Wow they look fantastic!! I am just interested in the LEDs to light up the viv and make it pop. I love to do themes and decorate and I'd love that extra pop. I have looked at ones from IKEA that are pretty cheap too. But we have nothing like that around here I have to do all my shopping online.

I thought about doing themes too, I might slowly work at it over time, but I also really like the natural look. I kinda wanna do a Lost theme. LOL. A polar bear, a crashed plane, a pirate ship, some palm trees. :) Totally ridiculous, but would make me laugh!

That would be awesome!!! My fire's name is Hades. So I did Parthenon ruins and a skull. Want to either do a background of more ruins or the underworld. Spectra, my ghost, I did a jungle/Aztec ruins/Indiana Jones theme. Your idea is so creative. I think that would be awesome. My next I think I'll maybe try a walking dead theme. :)

Ya I really like your ruins. Where did you get that piece?

What morph goes well with a zombie theme? hmmmm.... ooh, a miami! Red and grey! LOL.

The Parthenon ruins I got at Petco. Managed to find the killer online sale and they matched it in the store and I got it for 9 dollars. It's actually a fish tank decoration and it's also his favorite hide. Plus he's so stinking cute when he lays on top.

I totally haven't thought about a morph yet.... I was just planning out the viv lol! I think I might want to do classic Atlanta, first season city but I love the idea of the prison also. So many options with a theme. Maybe I'll run with it and do a theme for each season lol!! A box car would be an awesome hide. :) I'll have to do some thinking on morphs. I have a list of morphs I want.

Wow those cages look great. I haven't seen the glass sides idea before.

Technically they're acrylic. Which has it's pros and cons over glass. It's lighter, but I've read that it scratches easier too, so if I'm not careful it could end up not looking so good over time. Weight was an important consideration for me though, so I decided to try it.

What's your list? :)

Well, to be honest, it's constantly changing, and includes snakes I may not be able to find/afford for a long time. Right now it looks like this.

Snakes I think I can find/afford:
Blizzard or whiteout.
Topaz, golddust, or honey.
Sunkissed Lava.
Something pink, orchid or coral snow stripe.
Peppermint

Snakes I think I'll have to wait for:
Sundust
Amel orchid
Sunkissed amaretto
Ultramel candy cane or ultramel candy cane tessera
Palmetto
Cinder stripe or cinder tessera stripe

But with all that said, since I don't plan to start breeding, I have to keep in mind how many is reasonable for me to keep as pets. I want to know them as individuals, and house them all (unless I get a specimen that just hates it) in these vivs, which take up some space. So at some point I'll have to draw the line. Right now I'm thinking 8-12 is my max limit, and that includes the other snakes I want, which are all bigger than corns except the Rosy that I'm thinking about.
For next year I'm thinking I'll only get two more, and one will be the blizzard for sure.

I really want a coral/salmon tessera with the colors of the JMG line. Been thinking about maybe starting a breeding project in a few years to maybe try and breed one for myself lol. Then I really want a coral from John at Colorado Corns. An anery tessera, and a reverse okeetee are on the list. I haven't decided if I will do any other breeding but have been thinking about it. It would be so fun. It's exciting to see on here. Think I might stick with those morphs for now and think of creative names to go with the walking dead theme.

Back