• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Recommend a base?

I really want a coral/salmon tessera with the colors of the JMG line. Been thinking about maybe starting a breeding project in a few years to maybe try and breed one for myself lol. Then I really want a coral from John at Colorado Corns. An anery tessera, and a reverse okeetee are on the list. I haven't decided if I will do any other breeding but have been thinking about it. It would be so fun. It's exciting to see on here. Think I might stick with those morphs for now and think of creative names to go with the walking dead theme.

You gotta love those pinks!

(now for my rant on breeding. LOL)

I've thought about breeding, I am really interested in the genetics and science of it, and having babies would be amazing... I watch jealously every time someone shows their hatchlings pipping. But after working in rescue, I don't think I could do it. Realistically you have 2 adults and 10-20 babies to take care of and try to sell for every baby you produce that you keep... assuming the morph you're shooting for even makes it into any given clutch. To me it's cheaper, faster, and safer to just buy the morph I want than to try to create it.

I don't know the stats on snakes, only on dogs and cats, but the percentage of dogs and cats that actually ended up A) surviving a natural lifespan and B) living out life in someone's home is mortifyingly low. Something like 20%. The rest end up going from home to home or in shelters where they get put down. With reptiles I doubt it's much different. Our society has made pets into disposable merchandise.

I do believe that SOME people should be breeding, but definitely not me, and probably not most. ;) Nothing personal at all, I just have really strong opinions on the matter. :headbang:

I go back and forth on the issue. I have pets from both sides and in between. I do agree totally that people have made pets disposable and it makes me sad. I know there are issues where pets need to be rehomed and such but I will do everything I absolutely can to give all of my pets a great, forever home. But you don't really see coral tesseras. Dave Partington has a couple beautiful females for sale but they aren't quite the bright that I really love. Steve Roylance had a post in 2012 of a possible coral tessera also. But those are the only ones I've ever seen. So breeding to get a morph I would truly love might be an only option. But I'm also sure eventually they may come around more too. Why I'm kind of on the fence about it. Doing it once, for the experience would be pretty amazing though I think. I don't breed anything else and all of my dogs and cats are fixed. Like I said, kind of riding the line. I know most people who are adamant about rescuing have strong opinions and are very passionate about their beliefs. Like I said, I have pets from all sources. Two Chihuahuas are from breeders, one was from an accidental litter from my little man and my mom's minpin that we kept and my Aussie is from the humane society. One of my cats is a pound Kitty and the other from a rescue. One of my birds is from a breeder and the other I consider a rescue cause he got booted from his home because the owners got a bird dog instead. My beardie I also consider a rescue because he also go booted from a home for a dog (which the dog was from a rescue but they have different views on pets then I care forfor, great people but way different opinions then mine. Made the comment that if they didn't find the guinea pig a home would have to take it out and shoot it. Back to your disposable pet thing). I'm kind of a sucker and feel horrible when I know a pet is being booted because they want another pet. Again, there are certain circumstances that are different but in most cases I really feel for the booted pets and want to give them happy homes.

That was a totally all over the place post for sure, but at least hope my feelings were somewhat displayed lol.

I'm not a huge palmetto fan. Call me crazy, they are pretty snakes, they all are, but meh. Not my first choice for a morph.

I go back and forth on the issue. I have pets from both sides and in between. I do agree totally that people have made pets disposable and it makes me sad. I know there are issues where pets need to be rehomed and such but I will do everything I absolutely can to give all of my pets a great, forever home. But you don't really see coral tesseras. Dave Partington has a couple beautiful females for sale but they aren't quite the bright that I really love. Steve Roylance had a post in 2012 of a possible coral tessera also. But those are the only ones I've ever seen. So breeding to get a morph I would truly love might be an only option. But I'm also sure eventually they may come around more too. Why I'm kind of on the fence about it. Doing it once, for the experience would be pretty amazing though I think. I don't breed anything else and all of my dogs and cats are fixed. Like I said, kind of riding the line. I know most people who are adamant about rescuing have strong opinions and are very passionate about their beliefs. Like I said, I have pets from all sources. Two Chihuahuas are from breeders, one was from an accidental litter from my little man and my mom's minpin that we kept and my Aussie is from the humane society. One of my cats is a pound Kitty and the other from a rescue. One of my birds is from a breeder and the other I consider a rescue cause he got booted from his home because the owners got a bird dog instead. My beardie I also consider a rescue because he also go booted from a home for a dog (which the dog was from a rescue but they have different views on pets then I care forfor, great people but way different opinions then mine. Made the comment that if they didn't find the guinea pig a home would have to take it out and shoot it. Back to your disposable pet thing). I'm kind of a sucker and feel horrible when I know a pet is being booted because they want another pet. Again, there are certain circumstances that are different but in most cases I really feel for the booted pets and want to give them happy homes.

That was a totally all over the place post for sure, but at least hope my feelings were somewhat displayed lol.

I think I understood where you were going with it, and I agree you have to find your balance. For example, all of my dogs and cats have been rescues or give-aways, and probably always will be in future, but I purposely went to breeders for my snakes even though there were corn snakes in our local rescue. Why? It's hard to answer that without sounding selfish, but it was something I really wanted. It was the compromise that worked for me, as much as I'd rather be able to say that I don't compromise. LOL

I'm not a huge palmetto fan. Call me crazy, they are pretty snakes, they all are, but meh. Not my first choice for a morph.

I feel the same way about a few really popular morphs. I enjoy seeing the differences in people's ideals of beauty. What's your absolute favorite morph?

A balance, exactly. I know people who feel probably similar with their dogs. I have a friend that will only go through a breeder because you get exactly what you want with less chance of health issues, etc. Of course that takes a lot of research and a lot of effort to find the proper, responsible breeder. Me, I don't care where they come from (well I do, I would never intentionally support someone with poor morals where the animal doesn't matter) because they all deserve proper care, love, and affection. Everyone has their own ideas and opinions. I don't think it makes you selfish, you knew what you wanted and you went for it.

I absolutely love the corals that John has. I think if they were a tessera it would be by far my favorite. Pink and black are my favorite colors lol. There was a gold dust that turkeytim had that I just loved!!
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137941

I think opals are really pretty too, and peppermint stripes. A lot of times too it's a case by case. There are tons of gorgeous unique snakes in a common morph that may just be absolutely stunning. I really love my two babies now. They are beautiful. They have gorgeous colors and markings. I'll have to go check out yours!!! What's your all time fave?

Thank you! If I could only have one morph ever, I think it would be a blizzard, which is why I am actually really suprised at myself that I didn't get one this year, and it's a must for next year. I wish there was also a truly black morph, or a truly black and white morph. My favorites are the really light and really dark morphs. The brightly colored ones I'm pretty "meh" about. But without any colorful snakes at all I would feel like I was not showing corns off to their best advantage as a species, so I got a fire to add excitement! LOL

I have to say, though, I am really loving my cinder. I wasn't overly sure about her when I got her, but man has she grown on me. She's my only dark colored snake, and I find myself really drawn to watching her. Too bad she hates being watched!! LOL

I also remember thinking one day "if only there was a white black and red morph, that would be the perfect snake" and then discovering ultramel candy canes a few days later! LOL

I agree with you on the true black. I really like some of the high contrast anerys. I'm not a massive red fan, but I was really drawn to my fire. His photo was really pretty and it was my husband's favorite (who did NOT care for snakes before we got them) so I had to have him. The two we have won my husband over and he holds them now. He always refused to let me get a snake. Was one pet he didn't want in the house. We got the beardie and she kind of won him over on the reptile front and he didn't vehemently say no after talking about a snake. Then come our anniversary it was my present. My first was an amel, but that was because the stupid lady I thought was smart because she kept telling us about her snakes, said that he was a pink morph and he would get more pink as he aged. He was light enough that he didn't have the bright reds, he was more a pale orange. I didn't have him for long sadly. But amels will now hold a special spot for me. I do like some more then others. And I really love the reverse okeetees with the wide borders. Love the one on Kathy Loves book lol. Wish they had a reverse that was black and pink with white borders. That'd be amazing lol.

The candy canes are really pretty though. Like that pop of color. I really like the stripes too.

It's another one of those things where colors totally depend. I like the high contrast stripes, unless it's pink of course lol. Like pinstripes and some unique patterns also.

You ladies are so sweet on here lol I was reading the comments and I also really love the colors black and pink together- I would LOVE to see that as an option!

Thank you! If I could only have one morph ever, I think it would be a blizzard, which is why I am actually really suprised at myself that I didn't get one this year, and it's a must for next year. I wish there was also a truly black morph, or a truly black and white morph.

HA! I am getting a Blizzard from Kathy Love in a few weeks, I am working for her at the Phoenix Reptile Expo in exchange for a discounted Blizzard baby! I am so thrilled, I don't know which by more, the snake or getting to work with Kathy and Bill!

And I am getting an anery this week, he has really cool markings and looks like he is wearing Oakley sunglasses! And the guy lives in Mesa, so no shipping costs!

Meet Axl. (Yes, HUGE Guns N' Roses fan!)

Attachments

• axl.jpg
    axl.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 28
You ladies are so sweet on here lol I was reading the comments and I also really love the colors black and pink together- I would LOVE to see that as an option!

Well, coral ghosts are pink and black-ish? Okay, more like grey-ish brown usually. I want a pink and white snake. I almost got an opal this year, but I read that the pinks usually fade out.

HA! I am getting a Blizzard from Kathy Love in a few weeks, I am working for her at the Phoenix Reptile Expo in exchange for a discounted Blizzard baby! I am so thrilled, I don't know which by more, the snake or getting to work with Kathy and Bill!

And I am getting an anery this week, he has really cool markings and looks like he is wearing Oakley sunglasses! And the guy lives in Mesa, so no shipping costs!

Meet Axl. (Yes, HUGE Guns N' Roses fan!)

Ok someone has got to teach me how to get multiple quotes into a single reply!!

I woulda been pretty stoked about that too! I've thought about an anery for next year a few times, but I'm not convinced that it would be the darkest possible morph. I saw a picture of a cinder ... I think it was a tessera stripe... that was really dark. Anery's are so unpredictable, I wish I could just find a black milk snake already!! There are a lot of mexican black kings up here, but I don't feel like dealing with a snake who thinks I'm food all the time.

Haha, thanks Zeina.

Yeah they are kinda that way, albertagirl, but idk lol. I haven't seen one yet that I really love. I was thinking true black, pink saddles, with the clean thick borders in white lol. Clean, bright lines. Picky, picky, I know lol. I've seen some pretty snow stripes that have nice pink stripes, peppermints can be kind of pinkish too. I'm still drawn to the bright pinks of the salmon/coral snows. I dont care for some of the green in them though .

I'm totally jealous smigon!! What an awesome experience that will be. Jeaouls we don't have shows around here that I can just go to.

Steve Roylance has some really pretty black rats. Like them a lot and thinking maybe that's the way for me to go on the black front? I agree anerys are unpredictable but I think some of them are so pretty. I really like tesseras with high contrast.

I don't know how to quote on my phone at all lol.

Back