CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Maybe overdid it...

Old 07-14-2015, 01:05 AM   #21
albertagirl
Oh come on now... it glows in the dark too!? Somehow I missed that detail, that's insane! What did you use to make it glow?

Very pretty snake. I'll need to look those up.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #22
snappi13
Wow your a great inspiration to me and what I could potentially do with my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-14-2015, 11:13 PM   #23
Jessicat
LOVE them! I'll admit I got all inspired by looking at the enclosures that people make for their dart frogs. I was deturmind to do something like this!!

Lemme just say that it's A LOT harder (and more expensive) then it looks!

Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 AM   #24
backafter30
Thanks again! I almost got into dart frogs, just so i could create live habitats like that. Then I found out how often those little guys needed to be fed and I backed out before I got started. The cages I built probably cost as much as some of the nicer ones I could have purchased. Then again, the purchased cages were empty boxes, maybe with a shelf. I figured I could save tons by creating everything home-made, but I was surprised at how it still added up. I intentionally did not keep track. I don't want to know what they cost. My primary goal was to create something I couldn't buy and would be proud of, not to save money. As far as effort goes, it wasn't that hard, but it sure did take a lot of time.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:33 AM   #25
streeter310
this is awsome ! ima screen shot it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #26
MysticExotics
Looks great! I don't think you over did it at all.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #27
Ravenessa
dang... That is amazing.. I need more time in my life for projects like this <3 and i know you said it took you 1 year to make 2.. you also didn't have ton of time over if you are like all other adults.. and you were figuring things out.. once you get it down I am sure you could at least make part time business by carving rocks alone or make the wines to peoples specifics.. <3

Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 PM   #28
backafter30
Thank you! Building cages for other people seems like quite a task. Maybe when (if) I retire, I could take inside dimensions of other people's enclosures and create scenery to fit for them? It's an idea. Maybe sell at local shows? It'd be easier to teach others how to make their own. Maybe I'll make a website some day, but the info is already out there. That's how I learned. I already have several design changes for my next cages.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #29
backafter30
More pics and an update. I finally caught my blue guy out exploring. They actually seem to enjoy their new enclosures. Much more interesting than their former tubs, but then you have to consider their species. (I have some other snakes that would be terrified and never be seen at all in these.) I tried to create the Avatar themed one with blue/purple plants with an aquatic feel to them, like in the movie, so aquarium plants seemed ideal, but they are intended to be supported by the water, and my blue Baron's, small as he is, can smash them a bit. He is perfect in there now, but when he grows, he'll demolish the scenery. Anyone know of a small, arboreal blue snake that doesn't hide all the time? Also, the cypress mulch is easy to clean up messes in, but I "overdid it" to the point that just finding what they leave behind is like a "where's Waldo" scene.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:01 AM   #30
gelshark
WOW Jim! You never told me you are an expert in so many things! Are you going to the show in a few weeks?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google